We've been running a mirror site for sanesecurity for a few months now, and at some point I noticed lots of rsync processes clogging up the system. Many seemed to be just hanging, doing nothing. They have been fork()ed, but they
have not yet dropped privileges.  Easily 80-100 of such processes.
The normal rsync timeout setting does not take effect, but using xinetd, I fitted a sigalarm to automatically wake up any process after 5 minutes. This brought the number of inactive processes down to a reasonable level.

Anybody else seeing such hanging rsync processes?

Thanks
Per Jessen

--
http://sanesec.jessen.ch - sanesecurity mirror & stats