For the past few months I've been working on Gemcutter (http://gemcutter.org),
which aims to deliver a fresh take on gem hosting for the Ruby community.
The purpose of the project is three-fold:

* Create more transparent and accessible project pages
* Enable the community to improve and enhance the site
* Provide a better API for dealing with gems

Gemcutter is now up and running on Heroku, and the gem serving is done
entirely through S3. Patches are beginning to roll in from contributors, and
a redesign is in progress at http://staging.gemcutter.org thanks to some
designer time donated from Thoughtbot.

I would like to emphasize that I've worked hard to make this an open, honest
effort towards improving a core part of the Ruby world that's easily
accessible to every Ruby developer. The overall goal of the project is to
become the default gem host for RubyGems. However, this can't happen without
the support of the RubyGems and RubyForge team.

Here's what I propose:

1) Redirect gems.rubyforge.org to gemcutter.org for gem serving. (all gems
are currently mirrored from RubyForge and are ready for consumption)
2) Make gemcutter.org the default gem host for the next major release of
RubyGems.
3) Keep RubyForge online since many projects depend on its bug trackers,
mailing lists, and more.

Please note I'm not suggesting that all of these happen *this instant*, I
just want to open up discussion about making this happen and what would be
involved. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

-Nick Quaranto