-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fenderbosch,
Eric
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 11:46 AM
To: Rules Users List
Subject: RE: [rules-users] Drools 4 poor performance scaling?

We are having a similar problem, although our fact count is much higher.
Performance seems pretty good and consistent until about 400k facts,
then performance degrades significantly.  Part of the degradation is
from bigger and more frequent GCs, but not all of it.

Time to load first 100k facts: ~1 min
Time to load next 100k facts: ~1 min
Time to load next 100k facts: ~2 min
Time to load next 100k facts: ~4 min

This trend continues, going from 600k to 700k facts takes over 7
minutes.  We're running 4.0.7 on a 4 CPU box with 12 GB, 64 bit RH Linux
and 64 bit JRockit 5.  We've allocated a 9 GB heap for the VM using
large pages, so no memory paging is happening.  JRockit is started w/
the -XXagressive parameter, which enables large pages and the more
efficient hash function in HashMap which was introduced in Java5 update
8.

http://e-docs.bea.com/jrockit/jrdocs/refman/optionXX.html

The end state is over 700k facts, with the possibility of nearly 1M
facts in production.  After end state is reached and we issue a few GC
requests, if looks like our memory per fact is almost 9k, which seems
quite high as most of the facts are very simple.  Could that be due to
our liberal use of insertLogical and TMS?

We've tried performing a "commit" every few hundred fact insertions by
issuing a fireAllRules periodically, and that seems to have helped
marginally.

I tried disabling shadow proxies and a few of our ~390 test cases fail
and one loops indefinitely.  I'm pretty sure we could fix those, but
don't want to bother if this isn't a realistic solution.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Eric