South Asia Citizens Wire - 1 Oct 2012 - No. 2753

Contents:

1. Afghanistan: Women Who Fight for Freedoms & The Taliban’s War on Women
(Yalda Hakim)
2. Bangladesh: Separate personal laws for Muslims, Hindus, and Christians
discriminate against women - HRW report
3. Sri Lanka: Hector Abhayavardhana - The last of the Old Left and the end of
an era (Rajan Philips)
4. Letter from Japanese Anti Nuclear Activists and their experience of being
deported from India
5. India: Arbitrary arrests and intimidation used against Maruti Suzuki workers
 - PUDR Press Release
6. India: Not vegetarianism or dieting, Mr. Modi (Indira Hirway)
7. India: Survivors, not victims (Namita Bhandare)
8. India: The ISRO Spy Case Test (Shekhar Gupta)
9. Selected content from Communalism Watch

International:
10. Aggressive Salafist Islamists threaten Tunisia's dream of freedom (Nick Meo)
11. Freedom to criticize religion is a touchstone of free expression’ - Gilbert
Achcar Interview
12. Italian director slams Church's political role
12. Spain:  “Democracy has been kidnapped. On 25 September we are going to save
it" - Coordinadora #25S’s manifesto

=======================================
1. AFGHANISTAN: WOMEN WHO FIGHT FOR FREEDOMS & THE TALIBAN’S WAR ON WOMEN
=======================================
Afghan women who fight for freedoms by Yalda Hakim
+ The Taliban’s War on Women - Transcript of reportage by Yalda Hakim

http://www.sacw.net/article2887.html

=======================================
2. BANGLADESH: SEPARATE PERSONAL LAWS FOR MUSLIMS, HINDUS, AND CHRISTIANS
DISCRIMINATE AGAINST WOMEN - HRW REPORT
=======================================
Bangladesh’s personal laws for Muslims, Hindus, and Christians have not been
reformed in decades. Personal law reform has often been fraught with problems,
with some opponents invoking discriminatory interpretations of religion. The
separate personal laws for Bangladesh’s Muslims, Hindus, and Christians
discriminate in overlapping but distinctive ways. Each erects barriers to
divorce and economic equality during marriage and after, and none of the laws
provides for women’s equal right to marital property.

http://www.sacw.net/article2889.html

=======================================
3. SRI LANKA: HECTOR ABHAYAVARDHANA - THE LAST OF THE OLD LEFT AND THE END OF
AN ERA
by Rajan Philips
=======================================
Hector Abhayavardhana passed away on Saturday, September 22, at the ripe old
age of 93. He was a lifelong and loyal member of the Lanka Sama Samaja
Party.Almost from the time he joined the Party as a young University student,
Hector belonged to the top echelon of the Party – that formidable political
pantheon of Philip Gunawardena, N.M. Perera, Colvin R. de Silva, Leslie
Goonewardene, Edmund Samarakoddy, Bernard Soysa and Doric de Souza. With his
death the curtain finally falls on Sri Lanka’s oldest political party, but its
contributions over fifty years are a huge part of the island’s 20th century
politics and society.

http://www.sacw.net/article2885.html

=======================================
4. LETTER FROM JAPANESE ANTI NUCLEAR ACTIVISTS AND THEIR EXPERIENCE OF BEING
DEPORTED FROM INDIA
=======================================
We could not see people in Koodankulam and those sympathized with them. It is
truly regrettable that we could not meet them. However, after being denied
entrance, our concern has become more serious and our solidarity has been
stronger. Those who push for nuclear energy are closely connected. Globally,
there are no boarders when it comes to nuclear devastation. Then let us
overcome the difference of nationalities and languages and make thousands of,
ten thousands of comrades to fight for our future without nukes together. We
hope to see you in India on next opportunity.

http://www.sacw.net/article2886.html

=======================================
5. INDIA: ARBITRARY ARRESTS AND INTIMIDATION USED AGAINST MARUTI SUZUKI WORKERS
PUDR Press Release
=======================================
PEOPLE’S UNION FOR DEMOCRATIC RIGHTS
Press Release
Based upon its preliminary investigation, PUDR asserts that instead of a
thorough investigation into the alleged murder of Awanish Dev, Manager, Maruti
Suzuki Ltd’s Manesar plant on 18 July 2012, the Haryana police have been
responsible for arbitrary arrests of workers, illegal detention and harassment
of their family members as well as custodial violence. Our findings reveal how
miscarriage of justice has occurred and continues at many levels:

http://www.sacw.net/article2884.html

=======================================
6. INDIA: NOT VEGETARIANISM OR DIETING, MR. MODI
by Indira Hirway
=======================================
Low wage rates, poorly functioning public schemes and patchy access to water
and sanitation are the real explanation for Gujarat’s persistent malnutrition
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/not-vegetarianism-or-dieting-mr-modi/article3939379.ece?homepage=true

=======================================
7. INDIA: SURVIVORS, NOT VICTIMS
by Namita Bhandare
=======================================
(Hindustan Times, September 29, 2012)
This we know: On September 9, a 16-year-old Dalit schoolgirl in Dabra village,
Hisar was kidnapped, raped and photographed allegedly by a group of upper caste
Jat boys. This we know: The girl complains to her father. The photographs are
circulated in the village. The father tries to
lodge a complaint, fails, and kills himself nine days after his daughter was
raped.

This we know: It takes media outrage, street processions and the threat of job
suspensions by the National Commission for the Scheduled Castes before the
Haryana police arrest nine of the 12 accused (one is the nephew of the INLD
district chief and three are said to have links to the Congress). But even
before interrogation can begin, comes news of a copycat rape: another Dalit
woman, also gangraped, also filmed, also in Haryana, only this time in Jind
district.

The silence in Hisar has an echo in Jind. At the time of writing, the National
Commission for Women is yet to rouse itself. Leave alone a visit to Hisar, it
has not even bothered with a statement laced with the mandatory clichés of
outrage, shock etc.

http://www.sacw.net/article2882.html

=======================================
8. INDIA: THE ISRO SPY CASE TEST
by Shekhar Gupta
=======================================
. . .The real issue was the general opprobrium among sections of the
intelligentsia, and certainly within the journalistic community who had spent
months building the fiction of this allegedly greatest spy story ever.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/national-interest-the-isro-spy-case-test/1009451/

=======================================
9. RECENT CONTENT FROM COMMUNALISM WATCH
=======================================

Jamaat e Islami in deep mourning for Hindutva topgun Sudarshan
http://communalism.blogspot.in/2012/09/muslim-right-jamaat-e-islami-full-of.html

Missing the soft notes - Jawed Naqvi
http://communalism.blogspot.in/2012/09/missing-soft-notes.html

What, exactly, unites Indian Muslims and what divides them? - Christophe
Jaffrelot
http://communalism.blogspot.in/2012/09/what-exactly-unites-indian-muslims-and.html

Who is in Whose Land? - Thackeray Family’s Bihar Connection - Ram Puniyani
http://communalism.blogspot.in/2012/09/who-is-in-whose-land-mr-thackeray.html

Postmodern Gandhians And Hindu Nationalism - Part I and II  - Michael Barker
http://communalism.blogspot.in/2012/09/michael-barker-postmodern-gandhians-and.html

INTERNATIONAL

=======================================
10. AGGRESSIVE SALAFIST ISLAMISTS THREATEN TUNISIA'S DREAM OF FREEDOM
by Nick Meo
=======================================
http://alturl.com/aitmm

In Sidi Bouzid, birthplace of the Arab Spring, there is disillusion with the
aftermath of the revolution and growing support for hardline Salafist Islamists

Luckily there were no sunbathers at the swimming pool when the mob of 80
Islamic hardliners arrived to smash up the Horchani Hotel, the only place in
Sidi Bouzid where you could buy a cold beer.

Bearded, angry young men threatened the few staff who were around at lunchtime
with iron bars, broke windows, smashed up ornamental fountains and threw
bottles of wine and spirits into the empty pool, which is now full of shattered
glass.

"They said if I serve alcohol again they will come back and burn down the
hotel," said Jamil Horchani, 64, whose family has run the place since 1976.

The birthplace of the Arab Spring is a few streets away in the flyblown,
ramshackle town four hours drive south of Tunis, the capital. A desperate young
street vendor, Mohammed Bouazizi, set himself alight in December 2010, sparking
protests which grew into an uprising and toppled the autocratic leader Zine el
Abidine Ben Ali before spreading beyond Tunisia's borders.

The revolution, started by an act of despair, raised high hopes in Tunisia, a
nation of 11 million which is has as much in common with the northern
Mediterranean countries as the Arab ones on the southern shore; lively bars,
beaches where Tunisian women wear bikinis, and universities which turn out
well-educated young people who struggle to find work in the depressed
post-revolution economy.

Sidi Bouzid, a backwater and unemployment blackspot, doesn't enjoy much of the
capital's Tunisian dolce vita, and since its brief moment of glory last year
not much has changed. At least the police who hounded Mr Bouazizi to his death
have been withdrawn from the streets – their place filled by earnest young men
in traditional robes with long beards.

They organise street cleaning teams to sweep away rubbish, and vigilante groups
who patrol for the criminals who have become bolder since the revolution.

Many traders and shoppers in the souk are glad of the Salafists, as the
hardliners are called. But there are those who fear that the town has swapped
one group of persecutors, the police, for another.

"There are two types of Salafists," said a 44-year-old widow who would only
give her first name, Fatima. "Those that are peaceful and spiritual, and the
aggressive ones. They attack people in the streets for not going to say their
prayers, and they start fights in the mosque with people they don't like."

They are the men who smashed up Mr Horchani's bar. The businessman is former
captain of the town's football team and a leading member of the business elite
which prospered under Ben Ali's rule.

In other Tunisian towns customers and bar staff have grabbed bar stools and
pool cues and sent squads of self-appointed religious enforcers packing. But
Sidi Bouzid is a conservative place with many Salafists and only a few
drinkers, who are now a persecuted minority.

It's not only Tunisia's imbibers who have suffered: in recent weeks Salafists
have harassed artists whose work they don't like and threatened journalists who
write unfavourably about them. They have pressured women to wear the headscarf,
especially in universities which have become cultural battlegrounds.

"It was terrifying, they were a tough bunch and they knew they would get away
with it – none of them has been arrested," Mr Horchani said.

"I was not surprised at all when they attacked the US embassy in Tunis. The
interior minister has made it clear that the police will not arrest them, and
anyway the government and the Salafists are all Islamists together."

The Salafists were mainly regarded as a nuisance until they broke into the US
embassy in Tunis nine days ago, setting fire to the gym and looting the
American school nearby. Now ordinary Tunisians are becoming frightened of them.

"Salafists are maybe two per cent of the population and cause 90 per cent of
the trouble," said one young man in the capital, who said he was scared to go
for a beer after work.

Partly it is fear of the unknown. Under Ben Ali's rule Salafists were locked up
– often sharing prison cells with members of the current governing Ennahda
party, who are moderate Islamists.

After the revolution, thousands were let out, and promptly set about organising
political parties and making converts. The Salafist message of equality and
moral reform is simple and powerful. After years of corrupt government it is
particularly appealing to the young and desperate who expected much from the
revolution and feel disappointed. The unemployment rate is 18 per cent, and
nearer 50 per cent for graduates in towns like Sidi Bouzid.

Ben Ali's bans on men growing beards and women wearing headscarves or veils
were lifted in the spirit of liberty after the revolution. Now, for the first
time, there are Islamic-looking men and women everywhere, to the dismay of
middle-class Tunisians who prefer jeans and T-shirts, or skirts and revealing
dresses. They increasingly complain that the government's moderate Islamists
are soft on the hardline Islamists.

In June Salafists started riots after invading an art gallery in an upmarket
Tunis suburb in the same week the government brought in a delegation of
would-be foreign investors from abroad - who instead of looking at business
opportunities were forced to stay in their hotel rooms.

A few weeks ago a French councillor of Tunisian ancestry warned tourists to
stay away for their own safety, after he was attacked by Islamic extremists
with swords because his wife and daughter were wearing shorts. It was a fresh
setback for the crucial tourism sector, which had finally begun to revive, with
a third more British visitors in May than in the same month last year.
Television pictures of the burning embassy and bearded protesters are likely to
deter tourists further.

Last week, after the attack on the US embassy in which four rioters died,
police launched an unconvincing crackdown on hardliners in the capital. Armed
officers in balaclavas gathered outside the El Fatah mosque, taken over now by
the Salafists, on Avenue de Liberte, with its smart boutiques and airline
offices.

Inside was Abu Iyadh, a notorious preacher, allegedly with combat experience in
Afghanistan, who was accused of whipping up the mob outside the US embassy.

The bourgeoisie of Tunis, the women in smart, skimpy clothes, the men in suits
and nice shoes, emerged from shops and offices to watch in horrified
fascination as a mob of Salafists, many wearing scraps of camouflaged military
uniforms, formed a wall of howling bodies to keep the police out of the mosque.

"The genie is out of the bottle," one man murmured as he gazed at them. "What
they did at the US embassy damaged the image of Tunisia in the world. And they
got away with it. There will be a lot more trouble to come."

The real nightmare for middle-class residents of Tunis are the so-called
Jihad-Salafists, who number only a few thousand individuals but who are
determined, tough and well organised. Some were caught in February with a
lorry-load of guns being smuggled in from Libya. Their hard core has experience
fighting the Russians in Afghanistan and the Americans in Iraq, and more are
heading to Syria for the latest jihad.

Chokri Abdelfattah, 40, fought in Libya against the Gaddafi regime, then
returned home to rejoin the struggle to turn Tunisia into an Islamic state. He
arrived for an interview with The Sunday Telegraph wearing a T-shirt with
"Al-Quida" written on it and a graphic showing a jet flying into a skyscraper.
It would have been enough to get him jailed under Ben Ali, but nobody will
arrest him for it now.

A few weeks ago his nose was split open and his front teeth smashed by a tear
gas cylinder fired by police during a demonstration, and he boasted that his
brother had just been arrested. Police had filmed the brother driving outside
the US embassy with a Stars-and-Stripes tied to the back of his car, dragging
the flag in the dust.

"I am proud to be a jihadist, it is my duty to protect Muslims," he said.
"America is our enemy. It kills our brothers. We don't want their embassy here."

But although he was delighted with the embassy invasion he added that Tunisia
was not yet ready for holy war. "It's not the time for Kalashnikovs at the
moment. In Libya I had 10, but I didn't bring them back to Tunisia, I gave them
up to the authorities."

The Jihad-Salafists are concentrating their efforts on dawa, educating and
converting Muslims, for the time being. Mr Abdelfattah said that growing
disillusion with the moderate Islamist government was making that task easy,
especially with poor young men.

"Ennadha was elected because the voters thought it was an Islamic party, but
now the voters are starting to realise that it is just like Ben Ali's party,"
he said.

"We are patient. Tunisians will turn to our way. Then they will choose the
Caliphate."

=======================================
11. FREEDOM TO CRITICIZE RELIGION IS A TOUCHSTONE OF FREE EXPRESSION
Gilbert Achcar Interview
=======================================
We are reaping today the result of the left’s failure over many decades to
raise the basic secular demand of separation of religion from state. Secularism
– including freedom of belief, religion, and irreligion – is an elementary
condition of democracy. It should be, therefore, an elementary part of any
democratic project, let alone a left project. But most of the left in my part
of the world, the Arab region, has capitulated on this issue.
If the left wants to challenge the hegemony of Islamic forces and develop a
counter-hegemonic movement in the political, social and cultural spheres, it
must fight resolutely for secularism as well as against gender oppression –
another fight from which many on the left also shy away in fear of ‘hurting the
feelings’ of the believers. This is a self-defeating strategy.
http://www.sacw.net/article2888.html

=======================================
12. ITALIAN DIRECTOR SLAMS CHURCH'S POLITICAL ROLE
(AFP report)
=======================================
06 Sep 2012 VENICE, Italy (AFP)
Italian director Marco Bellocchio on Thursday condemned the Catholic Church's
interference in politics after the premiere of his new controversial film about
a high-profile euthanasia case.

"As long as Catholics can condition Italian political life, things are not
going to change," said the 72-year-old Bellocchio, whose "Bella Addormentata"
("Dormant Beauty") is one of 18 films vying for this year's Golden Lion.

"It is impossible to pass a law on end-of-life decisions, even one that is
respectful," the director told a group of journalists after some centre-right
politicians and clergymen voiced strong criticism of the film.

Bellocchio's plot revolves around three fictional characters in the momentous
days leading up to the death of Eluana Englaro at the age of 38.

Englaro had been in a coma for 17 years and her family won the right in court
to switch off life support, a ruling that unleashed a fierce backlash.

"Italy tore itself apart over the fate of this poor young woman. There was a
lot of media tension, a clash between Catholics and lay people," he said.

[Photo Caption] Italian film director Marco Bellocchio (L) and actor Toni
Servillo pose during the 69th Venice Film Festival. Bellocchio condemned the
Catholic Church's interference in politics after the premiere of his new
controversial film about a high-profile euthanasia case.

The Catholic Church waged a campaign against the suspension of life support for
Englaro, with support from then prime minister Silvio Berlusconi who tried to
rush an emergency law through parliament to stop Englaro's family.

Three years later "the problem has not been resolved," said Bellocchio,
pointing out that a draft law on end-of-life decisions is stuck in parliament.

A small demonstration at the Venice film festival drew around 50 people, who
distributed pamphlets saying Bellocchio had "killed Eluana a second time."

"They have the right to do it (but) I think they represent a tiny minority of
the Catholic world, where there are also more open positions," he said.

Bellocchio chose not to portray the Englaro family directly but to explore it
through the eyes of a mother (Isabelle Huppert) whose daughter is also in a
coma and a senator (Toni Servillo) who is called on to vote for the law.

The third central character is a drug addict who is desperate to kill herself
but is rescued by a doctor and eventually chooses to live.

=======================================
13 SPAIN:  “DEMOCRACY HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED. ON 25 SEPTEMBER WE ARE GOING TO SAVE
IT" - COORDINADORA #25S’S MANIFESTO
=======================================
A translation of Text of Coordinadora #25S’s manifesto is posted below (Este
manifiesto es fruto del debate en las asambleas de esta Coordinadora 25S)

Manifesto

We, ordinary people are fed up to live with the consequences of a system
conditioned by and forced to adapt itself to the markets, which is in every
respect insupportable, and has led us to be victims of a large scale scam which
has caused this crisis. We unify in order to edit this manifesto. We invite
every citizen to unify themselves with the claims we are making in this
manifesto.

We perceive that the current situation has exceed all tolerable limits and that
we are victims of an attack without former precedents from the side of
economical powers, who are using the crisis as an excuse. This is ruining our
lives and those to blame are them who present themselves as an untouchable
oligarchy. This with the complicity of all political forces represented in the
parliament, who are manipulating the powers of the State by maintaining their
privileges and excessive and illegitimate enrichment.

There is no way to hide that we live in a gigantic social fraud, with
governments systematically betraying us by doing exactly the opposite as
promised in their electoral statements, just as there isn’t any justice in the
tribunals against bankers, politicians and business men who are guilty of the
current situation. We just have to look in order to see how this structure of
vicious and immoral power creates policies that end our rights and destroy our
lives, and in order to see how we are victims of an unfair repression when
demanding a change of the situation.

We believe that the problem is of such a big seize and the roots such profound
that any solution will not be founded in reforms based in the actual political
system. Therefore we demand:

– The dismissal of the entire government, as well as the dismissal of the Court
and the Leadership of the State, because of betraying the country and the whole
community of citizens. This was done in premeditation and is leading us to the
disaster.

– The beginning of a constitutional process in a transparent and democratic
way, with the goal of composing a new Constitution. We want to do this with the
participation of the whole community of citizens, in such a way that the result
will be their own, because we don’t recognize any democratic character in the
actual constitution and laws. On the contrary these are drawn by a selected
group behind the people’s back and confirm the domination of the heirs of the
Franquismo era (the period during dictator Franco ruled) and those agreeing
with them. It has to be the people who determine the model of social
organization in whom they desire to live – not the opposite way.

– The audit and control of the public debt of Spain, with moratorium (delay) of
debt’s payment until there is a clear demarcation of the parts which not have
to be paid by the nation, because they have been served private interests using
the country for their own goals, instead the well being of the whole Spanish
community. Equally we demand the prosecution of all this persons who show and
present themselves as suspicious of such moves, and we demand that they
guarantee and pay with their own goods in the case they appear to be guilty.

– The reform of the electoral law, with the design of a new electoral process,
in order to really represent the people’s will before any election which will
be necessary to supply the development of a constitutional process of democracy.

– The immediate abolition of all cuts and all reforms taken against the well
fare state with the excuse of the crisis, which set up limits to the
population’s rights and freedoms, not only because they mean a disaster for the
country, but also because they have been consisting out of taxes betraying the
will of the people.

– A profound tax reform, which is making to pay more by those gaining more
benefits of society. We equally demand the abolition of the fiscal amnesty
ordered by the government, since these injustice is a real mockery for those
who pay honestly.

– The abolition of all the privileges of those holding a political or public
position, and the introduction of efficient mechanisms controlling the
performance of those positions.

– The immediate paralysis of all forced evictions (forced leaving of homes),
and to put at the population’s disposal those houses belonging to the banks and
companies who have been helped by public funds.

– The creation of new jobs, which first premise will be the sustainability, and
whose goal will be the development of humanity, as well as a form of management
appropriate and adapted to the disposable jobs such that populations can work
in order to live – instead of being forced to live in order to work. It is a
tremendous hoax when over and over saying we have to work more, a fallacy
supported by the greed of the big interests but contrary to the interests of
the ordinary people.

For all this above explained we make a call to the population on the 25 of
September 2012 to manifest in an undefined form at the gates of the Congress in
order to obtain the dismissal of the Government and to make the beginning of a
Constitutional Process, by making this call of unification of all the fights,
strives and wrestling for a more fair Society.

We are the overwhelming majority, we are the people, we are right, we will not
tolerate this and we will not be walked all over.

:::

SEE ALSO:

Will the Occupy movement dissolve Spain's parliament? (+video)

Some 6,000 of protesters gathered outside Spain's parliament in Madrid to
protest austerity measures and to call for the ouster of Spain's current
government .
by Alan Clendenning, Associated Press / September 25, 2012
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0925/Will-the-Occupy-movement-dissolve-Spain-s-parliament-video

:::

Anonymous Operation Spain - Press Release

Tuesday - September 25, 2012 6:00 PM ET USA

Greetings World --

Anonymous sends it's solidarity to our brothers and sisters in Spain who at
this very moment have completely surrounded the Parliament Building in Madrid.
They are calling for the resignation of a government that like so many in our
world today has failed to serve the needs of it's people. We encourage our
comrades in Spain to remain steadfast until their demands are met, and we
promise to do all we can to assist them.

Anonymous watched on the independent livestreams the horrendous brutality on
the part of the Spanish National Police. It is always intolerable to us, but it
is especially deplorable when we witness this level of senseless violence used
against peaceful protesters in a supposedly western and modern "democracy". In
response to this wanton violence by the Spanish National Police against our
brothers and sisters in Madrid, Anonymous has removed from the Internet the web
site of the Spanish National Police located at http://www.policia.es - and we
will keep it offline so long as we continue to watch scenes of brutality.

Beginning tomorrow, Anonymous will also begin an attack on the primary website
of the Parliament of Spain. This attack will include not only DdoS and hacking,
but also Black Fax & E-Mail bombs - effectively removing the Parliament of
Spain from the Internet entirely.

We Are Anonymous
We Are Everywhere
We Are Legion
We Do Not Forgive
We Do Not Forget
Government of Spain, it's to late to Expect Us.

SIGNED -- Anonymous

:::

[See also: Spaniards rage against austerity in march to Parliament
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/hundreds-of-police-seal-off-spanish-parliament-ahead-of-protest-against-crisis-measures/2012/09/25/fcce6fa2-06e2-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html]

South Asia Citizens Wire
Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia. Newsletter of South Asia Citizens Web:
www.sacw.net/