Please forgive if this is not the right place to seek help on this (and direct
me to the right resource!).

Since installing kubuntu 9.04, smbclient (3.3.2) and smb4k (0.10.2) are all
messed up.

While I can access shares on an Active Directory network using the smbclient
protocol from konqueror (smb://), I can't mount directories using either
mount.cifs or smb4k, no matter what I do. Both of these worked under prior
releases of kubuntu.

mount.cifs requests are met either with an error that a share can not change
directory into a mount target or that the directory name disappears from the
directory structure until it is unmounted.

smb4k is simply unable to read the servers in my company's AD domain.

I have achieved a small success using Py.neigborhood to mount directories, but
it is not simple.

Does anyone know what the problem is or how to fix?

Paul