It's been there since Windows NT 4.0, and is used with mandatory integrity
labels to enforce a mandatory integrity policy so that subjects with a lower
integrity label cannot access (and, most importantly, cannot modify) objects
with higher integrity labels.

It also exists separate from the Windows DAC ACL, which is what seems to govern
user access to data files. One gets the impression it is intended to be used to
protect DLL executables against modification by unauthorized processes, which
is a worthy usage, but doesn't do anything for sensitivity- or privacy-based
control of information flow.

===
Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP, CSSLP
Senior Lead Scientist