For me the problem has always been the title.  Every time I see
"Dollhouse" I think of Todd Solondz's "Welcome to the Dollhouse,"
which, while critically acclaimed, is artsy-fartsy, more than a little
bit precious, and nothing I want to see week in and week out.  In
fact, my interest in "Dollhouse" wasn't peeked until I saw a still
picture of Dushku (bless you!) looking hot in her "Dollhouse" costume
in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly.  The astro-cowgirl chic -
think Gina Torres in "Firefly" - gets to me.  It's just the way I'm
hot-wired.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Is Dollhouse Doomed? 7 Trouble Signs
>
> Rejoicing ensued when word came that Joss Whedon--creator of the
beloved
> Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly--was returning to network TV
with Fox's
> upcoming SF series Dollhouse, starring Buffy/Angel alumna Eliza
Dushku
> (Faith).
>
> But that was months ago. And in the wake of news about the show's
troubled
> development process, the buzz may be turning ugly.
>
> "This may sound ridiculously nerdy, but I'm kinda scared to get all
> emotionally invested with another of Whedon's shows after the
cancellation
> of Firefly," one person posted on YouTube.com after Dollhouse's
trailer
> debuted there.
>
> We are all big supporters of Whedon, too, but we have to worry
ourselves,
> just like these others:
>
> "In Joss we trust, but not Fox. Should we start the 'Save Dollhouse'
> petitions now? :0)>"
>
> "So true. Let's hope Fox doesn't mess this up!! There is a space on
the
> market for a show like this. Alias, Dark Angel, BTVS, Bionic Woman
... all
> gone. My fingers are well and truly crossed."
>
> One of the most anticipated shows of the season, Dollhouse has had
one of
> the most troubled preproduction journeys of any show in recent
history.
> Dollhouse follows a group of mind-wiped secret agents who have
different
> personalities and skills implanted in their brains for each mission.
Dushku
> plays "Echo," one of the dolls who is starting to become self-aware.
Going
> by premise alone, the show should be Whedon gold. But the devil is
in the
> details. Here are seven reasons to worry.
>
> This story continue below the video window.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1545148137/bctid19025203
42

> 1. Pilot issues. Whedon filmed the pilot episode, "Echo." Then it
was
> announced that "Echo" would now be the second episode, and a new
first
> episode was being shot. Then the pilot was thrown out completely.
This is
> disturbingly similar to what happened on Firefly, Whedon's last
network
> show, which Fox canceled abruptly in the middle of its first season.
In the
> case of Firefly, the original two-hour pilot was bumped to later in
the
> show, and a new one-hour segment was shot to introduce viewers to
the
> complicated 'verse of the series. In the case of Dollhouse, Fox
suits were
> reportedly concerned that the original pilot was too hard to follow.
"Once
> it became clear what paradigm the network was shooting for, it just
didn't
> fit at all, even after I'd reshot more than half of it," Whedon
posted on
> the site Whedonesque.com. How do you not know what the network is
looking
> for? Didn't they tell you?
>
> This story continues below the image.
>
> dollhouse
>
> Stars Tahmoh Penikett (left) and Eliza Dushku (right) with creator
Joss
> Whedon.
>
> 2. Work stoppage. Production was actually halted. Twice. Once for
script
> issues on the fourth episode, and once for the sixth and seventh.
Whedon
> said in a blog, "To get a sense of how completely turned around I
was during
> this process, you should know there was a scene with Eliza and the
> astonishing Ashley Johnson that I wrote and shot completely
differently
> three different times, with different characters in different places
> (actually I wrote it closer to eight times), and none of it will
ever see
> air." Really? The creator of the show had to reshoot something three
times,
> and it still didn't work?
>
> 3. Bad buzz. Fans started a "Save Dollhouse" campaign pretty early
on, even
> before the show began production. Check out this fan video:
>
> http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0
> <http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=62579>
&id=62579

> Scroll down
>
> I asked Joss about the fear at Comic-Con this year. "I think the
campaign is
> a little bit of a ... it makes people think, 'Hmm. What's wrong with
> Dollhouse? Why does it need saving?' I say, 'Wait, whoa, whoa, we're
not on
> yet! We're OK.' I think."
>
> 4. Bad dialogue. I watched the trailer, hoping for a laugh. Whedon
is known
> for his snappy dialogue and witty lines. But not this time, at least
not in
> the trailer. Where is the "Prince of Night, I summon you. Come fill
me with
> your black, naughty evil." Or "Every well-bred petty crook knows
that the
> small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place
setting."
> In the Dollhouse trailer, we get "Did I fall asleep? For a little
while."

> 5. Friday night Death Slot. On Nov. 10, Fox announced that Dollhouse
would
> debut on Friday nights (starting in February), following the
> ratings-challenged Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Friday
night has
> traditionally meant cancellation for shows of the sci-fi persuasion,
The
> X-Files being the lone exception. We're talking Sliders, Dark Angel
and the
> infamous Firefly. The term "Friday Night Death Slot" even has its
own page
> on Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure Fox has seen it. Contrary to popular
belief,
> TV watchers sometimes have dates on Friday nights: "Moving a brand-
new show
> to a horrible time and night, and moving a highly rated, already
established
> show to a great timeslot, is just insulting," one person posted on
YouTube.

> In an interview with SCI FI Wire
> <http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=62509> ,
Dushku
> dismisses the death slot sentence. "Dude, we're in the age of DVR,"
she
> said. "People watch what they want to watch."
>
> "I suppose you can talk yourself into saying that Fox has enough
faith in
> the show to pull in ratings in the Time Slot of Death," another fan
wrote.
> "But you can also say that Fox has already written off the show and
isn't
> even going to bother."
>
> This story continues below the image.
>
> dollhouse2
>
> 6. Cast/crew issues. Viewers loved Dushku as the kick-ass slayer
Faith on
> Buffy and Angel. They loved her as Tru in Fox's Tru Calling, which
aired for
> two seasons. But hot as she is, Dushku's buzz is taking a bit of an
ugly
> turn. Some are calling her "tired-looking" in the trailer and saying
she
> seems bored.
>
> Time magazine, which recently reviewed the first episode, said that
> Dollhouse "is less a series concept than an actress' showcase." Of
Dushku,
> the magazine adds, "I thought she was fine on Buffy. But she's not
exactly
> Toni Collette. ... Watching her inhabit her imprinted 'personality'
[of] a
> tough negotiator with secret vulnerabilities, I did not see her
becoming
> another person. I thought, 'Oh, look! There's Eliza Dushku with
glasses and
> her hair in a bun!"
>
> As for other cast members, the show scrapped the character of
November,