The Gemplus reader shouldn't wimp out just because BWT is "reserved."  My
Todos driver does its best to talk to the card and uses defaults when the
protocol parameters don't make sense.  There are an amazing number of cards
out there that aren't strictly 7816 compliant.

Besides, isn't BWT given by TC1 in this case, not TC3?  TC1 isn't present so
it defaults?  I don't have part 3 in front of me so I could be wrong.