Am Samstag, den 23.09.2006, 18:44 +0200 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:

> phoenix is able to reload an application or to deploy a new application
> without restarting the full container. If you put a new sar file in the
> apps folder it try to deploy it.
> Maybe we could add some management code to make an sar-restart without a
> phoenix restart

When everything is in one SAR it makes no sense. Then I could also
restart whole phoenix.
The question is: It is possible to put e.g. Mailets in an additional SAR
and add, swap and remove them while running.
Of course the utilizing services have to be aware of that. They have to
be notified and reconfigured.

> but keep in mind that OSGi is not the holy grail in
> this: just remember that most time you install new plugins or update
> plugins in Eclipse you have to restart Eclipse... and eclipse is based
> on OSGi. This simply happens because not only the container have to
> support dynamic reloading, but the components must be aware of this and
> this need work.

Right. And it's obviously not trivial. And the question is do we want to
go in that direction at all.
For now OSGi seems to be the only one who supports juggling of services
and their implementations at run-time out-of-the-box at all.

> Imho we'll stay with Avalon for a lot, and I bet we'll change the
> container before removing avalon code from our core components (maybe
> we'll try plexus, maybe we'll write something to wrap an avalon
> component as an OSGi bundle).

Is Plexus able to do online add, swap and remove ?

> Furthermore I think that Avalon is a simple specification for
> components, while OSGi is more a specification for containers.

Agree. OSGi alone won't help us.  As I understood OSGi can help us in:

 - add, swap and remove services and make the appropriate notifications
 - wire the services
 - make notifications for configuration updates
 - start and stop everything

What I don't like that all the others seem to depend on a monolithic
"assembly.xml"

But with OSGi we'll still need

 - fine grained DI for the bundles
 - A configuration framework

>  If I
> understood it correctly there is nothing that stop you from writing an
> Avalon container that is able to reload single services/components on
> the fly.

Who is doing the classloader stuff in that case?
And yes we had to write such management on our own.

Joachim