Le 03/10/2016 à 03:09, Marc Chamberlin a écrit :

[...]
Hi Matthiew and the rest of the James server-users list -

Sorry for my delay in replying, I got sidelined by TLS/SSL issues and had to focus on that for awhile. Now back to Apache-James - Yes your PR did get me further and I now have both cassandra and elasticsearch running under Docker. I am attempting to wade through the configuration setup now and have a couple of questions that I need help with. First let me say that I am editing the .properties and .xml files under dockerfiles/run/guice/destination/conf which is my best guess as to what I need to be doing?

Good guess

My first question relates to the cassandra.properties file. According to the instructions at https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-cassandra.html

*cassandra.ip*
    Is the IP (or host) of the Cassandra used. (cluster is not yet
    supported)

Am I suppose to assign the internal private or an external public IP address for the host that Cassandra is running on? If external, does this host have to be in a DMZ? I don't know how this is going to be used hence the reason I am asking... The version of the cassandra.properties file that I got when I cloned the GIT repository had it pre-configured as cassandra.ip = cassandra which I am sure must be wrong but then again I have little experience with Docker so I could be wrong...
So the documentation uses --link docker option, it creates to right alias into james container so that cassandra resolves to cassandra IP. The cool thing about that is : cassandra port is not routed outside docker private network so you don't have to care too much about cassandra security.

My second question concerns setting up the SMTP server to use Authentication. Again according to the instructions at https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-smtp-lmtp.html it says -

Configuring Apache James Server for Authentication SMTP is a multi-step process. It requires several adjustments of the smtpserver.xml. To enable SMTP AUTH, do the following:

 1. As mentioned above, SMTP AUTH requires that Apache James Server be
    able to distinguish between mail intended for local delivery and
    mail intended for remote delivery. Apache James Server makes this
    determination by matching the domain to which the mail was sent
    against the <servernames> element of the Apache James Server
    configuration block. Any local domains should be explicitly listed
    as <servername> elements in this section.

My trouble is I cannot figure out where the <servernames> elements are to be configured. I grepped through all the config files (basically everything downloaded from the GIT repo) and cannot find any file containing a section for defining servernames. (I did find a number of references to it however...) So where is this servernames section hiding?
Depending on your domain backend, you can define statically the domains into domainlist.xml (I guess servernames got replaced by domainnames) or dynamically by calling administration API.

With cassandra, we rather use dynamic config, so take a look at "how to call james-cli" in the documentation, there's an API like "adddomain" in it.

Thanks as always for helping guide me out of the woods... I am sure I will have more questions but don't want to proceed any further until I get the configuration done correctly. Marc...
You're welcome.

--
Matthieu Baechler