I have a client who has some folders with 150,000+ messages in them. When he accesses these folders via Thunderbird or other clients, James gets swamped with returning the message list and slows down responding to all my other clients. Most of these messages are old and could be archived. But just moving them to an archive folder just means that if he opens the archive folder, I'm back to the same problem. I know I could just tell him to delete about 90% of them. But I don't want to impose limits. I thought about asking him to unsubscribe to these folders. That'll work in Tbird. But iPhone mail doesn't honor the subscribe bit and displays the folder anyway. Maybe better than nothing...

What I'd really like to do is ask him to store old archived messages locally on his machine and just get them out of my server completely. But I want to get some advice on the best way to do that.

What I'm thinking about doing is:

1) Create a completely separate 'archive' user account for him

2) Using SQL, move the super large folders to this archive account

3) Have him create a matching 'archive' Thunderbird account, but make it POP3 type rather than IMAP and set it to 'delete mail on server after retrieval'

4) Have him open/download (and inherently erase) the messages from the server.

I'm pretty sure this will work. (Will probably take two days to download....) But my question is.... is this the best way to do this. Surely other JAMES users have encountered this problem as well. Am I reinventing the wheel? Is there a better way?

Thx.

Jerry