The black stuff is at worst, harmless and might even be helpful.  iDunno
You don't need to keep pure silver in the dark, only the photo reactive
silver compounds like silver chloride and silver carbonate made by using
salt or baking soda as a buffer in the water....a very common practice in
the old days [10-20 years ago] , but less common now.

Ode