On 27 Jan 2008, at 16:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Quoting Stathis Papaioannou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On 27/01/2008, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

the evidence of billions of years of evolution says that the mind doesn't work without the body. No body, no mind. No physics, no psychology, no AI. If it can't move, it can't think. (And I think, thanks in part to mirrror neurons, that we are now on the verge of finally pinning down why. But
that's another post).

So should paralysis or amputation make someone less intelligent?

|I do not think that this is the question, though. If one is born paralysed (I
have taken care of a cerebral palsy kid when I was young) - there is no
knowledge and no possibility of learning co-ordinbated movements (limbs and thoughts). I| am sure this depends on the severity of the non able bodied
person's
problem
 If one has the memory, it is different. My partner has lost an arm, it
is still existent in his mind, he feels pain in it occasionally and he forgets
sometimes that he hasn't got it anymore. I think this is not about
intelligence, but it is about our mind being inter-dependent (also via
evolution) with senses and body.
Though, even this is kind of wrong, because it behaves there is a split between senses, body and mind. They are more interconnected or whatever you would like to say.
Problem of dualist thinking.
Gudrun

--
Stathis Papaioannou