Hi Carl,

thanks for the tip. In fact, my concern is regarding the kernel we use. If we
build kernel 3.7.5 for example and if we run an udevd compiler with kernel
heardes 2.6.34, the structures won't match and IMHO (I'm far from being an
expert)  I think that udevd could crash the kernel, or the kernel could crash
udevd...

My exact problem is to build udev using the kernel we create, not the kernel
headers from the system installed kernel. Once I figure out how to do that, I
think all issues will disapear.
having kernel-2.6.34.1 build in SystemImager hides this problem as the kernel
is built using its own 2.6.34.1 kernel hearder, and udev is built using system
installed kernel header V2.6.34.1 which are (in this specific case) the same.

So I think that there are 2 coices:

1/ revert back to 2.6.34.1 (and accept that some recent network drivers and
other drivers are not available)
or
2/ find a way (using patch or specific defines) to build udev using alternative
kernel headers.

IMHO, I'm for the second version because:

1/ Not all distributions have the same kernel revision. Thus having kernel
2.6.34.1 on centos can be fine, but can be a problem on latest ubuntu which
uses a newer kernel thus newer kernel hearder, thus the udev build may fail.

2/ Being independant from system installed kernel headers let us update kernel
and udev when new hardware is supported.

To achiev the second step, we need to build and install components in the
build_dir using make install instead of make "install-exec" so we can use
includes in sync whith what we build. Then just before crating the initrd, we
can remove the unwanted includes and docs.

Of course, this is my humble vision of things, and as I'm not low level system
expert, I may be wrong.

So If someone think thare is a better option, don't hesitate to write here.

Best regards.
--
   Olivier LAHAYE
   CEA DRT/LIST/DCSI/DIR