Site of the Day for Wednesday, December 5, 2001

        Ghostsites

"This exhibit - The Museum of E-Failure - is an attempt to actively
preserve the home pages of sites that will probably disappear in the next
few months. Our goal is not to laugh at these failed enterprises, but to
preserve documentary images - as many as possible - before all traces of
their existence are deleted from history's view. It is my hope that these
screenshots may serve as a reminder of the glory, folly, and historically
unique design sensibilities of the Web's Great Gilded Age (1995-2001)." -
from the website

With almost 900 sites in its collection, website author Steve Baldwin is
making a valiant effort to record the dot.com images which once beckoned us
to these former sites. From the well-known Garden.com to the obscure
Metricom.com, this web project is a sad reminder of more heady days on the
Internet, when chimerical visions of easy fortunes lured the adventurous to
set up shop on the web.

Wander through the images of this modern day online gold rush at:

http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/

A.M. Holm
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
SotD Ashlists archives -