Peder Nordvaller wrote:

Hello, I just setup Slide 2 rc 1 and I experience a small bug(?) with the
webdav servlet... When creating a new folder IE creates a folder named "New
Folder". I then rename it and it works just fine. But when I refresh the IE
window the name "New Folder" reappears instead of the new name.

Doing a trace with Ethereal of the PROPFIND gives me for example:
<D:response xmlns:D="DAV:">
    <D:href>/fsserver/bla</D:href>
    <D:propstat>
        <D:prop>
            <D:creationdate>2004-04-09T16:05:05Z</D:creationdate>
            <D:getlastmodified>Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:05:05
GMT</D:getlastmodified>
            <D:getcontentlength>0</D:getcontentlength>
            <D:displayname>New Folder (3)</D:displayname>
            <D:resourcetype>
                <D:collection />
            </D:resourcetype>
        </D:prop>
        <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
    </D:propstat>
    <D:propstat>
        <D:prop>
            <D:name />
            <D:parentname />
            <D:href />
            <D:ishidden />
            <D:isreadonly />
            <D:getcontenttype />
            <D:contentclass />
            <D:getcontentlanguage />
            <D:lastaccessed />
            <D:iscollection />
            <D:isstructureddocument />
            <D:defaultdocument />
            <D:isroot />
        </D:prop>
        <D:status>HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found</D:status>
    </D:propstat>
</D:response>

The displayname property does not update correctly when renaming (MOVE:ing)
the folder. Same thing with files (non-collections nodes). Is there
something I have set up wrong or is this something that needs to be fixed?
It could easily be added in the MoveMethod if so but might want to be done
in the Macro?

Hi, there are several bugs involved here, but MOVE not changing the displayname is absolutely correct.

Bug #1: it seems that somebody is silently letting default the DAV:displayname property to the last path segment when a folder is created. Automatically setting DAV:displayname to be identical to the last part of the URL doesn't make any sense at all. In absence of the DAV:displayname property, any client will display the last URL segment anyway. So this seems to be a bug in Slide's MKCOL (and possibly other methods that create new resources such as PUT or COPY).

Note: Apache/moddav works exactly as it should: DAV:displayname only appears when it's explicitly set using PROPPATCH; namespace operations do not affect DAV:displayname at all. On the other hand, in Microsoft IIS DAV:displayname is a computed property that's always equal to the last path segment (minus escaping), meaning it's not settable at all. I consider this a bug.

Bug #2: there are Microsoft webfolder versions that display DAV:displayname *instead* of the last path segment (instead of *in addition*). This issue is documented here: <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webfolder-client-list.html#issue-displayname-1>, and it would be nice if everybody would help pushing Microsoft to fix this.

Hope this helps,

Julian