I've got, in my mime.type file, the entry "image/vnd.dwg .dwg".
When I access the page with IE, the link works correctly, with the option to
either save the file to disk or open it with Autocad. Which works fine.

With Netscape or Mozilla, it just treats it like a text file.

I also just found the following information from
http://www.dot.co.pima.az.us/gis/webdev/dwg.htm

* If you have AutoCAD itself installed, then you can use AutoCAD as an
application external to your web browser to open and view the DWG file.
 When you click on a .DWG with Internet Explorer, it should give you the
option of saving the file to disk, or opening it. Assuming you have AutoCAD
installed, choose "Open", unless you have a need to save the DWG file to
your disk. Choosing "Open" should start AutoCAD and display the map.
 When you click on a .DWG with Netscape, you may only have the option to
save it to disk. Also, if the filename extension of the file to save is not
listed
as DWG, then change it to DWG. Once saved to disk with the DWG extension,
you can start AutoCAD and open it from your hard disk like any other
AutoCAD drawing. We're trying to learn how to configure Netscape to open DWG
files directly. If you know how, contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

So it seems my problem is actually browser based, rather than server based.

I've tried adding an entry in Mozilla, under "helper applications" to get it
to associate dwg files with Autocad, with no success yet.
Also, the filetype .sam, which is an AmiPro document, will open in IE &
Mozilla, but not Netscape.

Amanda