Providing Care on Middle East Battlefields

from Clinician News
Posted 08/14/2003
Melissa Knopper

Public opinion regarding the war with Iraq was divided in the United
States, but there was one thing on which everyone could agree:
whole-hearted support for the troops doing the fighting. Taking care
of those soldiers — and civilians — was no less important, requiring
a high level of skill and the ability to think quickly in pressured
situations. Now, with the major combat over according to President
Bush, Clinician News has tracked down and conducted e-mail interviews
with three physician assistants and a nurse anesthetist who provided
medical support during the conflict.

Army PA Gives Iraqis Equal Care
As director of Emergency Medicine Services for the Army Health Clinic
at Camp Doha, Kuwait, CPT Winfield Winegar, PA-C, has taken care of
American soldiers, enemy prisoners of war, and Iraqi civilians. Most
of the US soldiers visit the clinic for routine primary care or
emergency services. "We take care of everything from the common cold
to fractures," Winegar says.

When he treated Iraqi patients during the war, however, it was
usually while working from the back of a "Dustoff" helicopter. The
aircraft carries people with critical injuries from the battlefield
to military hospitals, located either on a coalition hospital ship or
on land.

One of the Iraqi patients Winegar treated in the field was a
12-year-old boy with leg burns. "Can you imagine being 12 years old
and having a foreign soldier with gear and weapons load you into a
helicopter?" Winegar says. He could tell the boy was scared, so he
tried to reassure him despite the language barrier. "I rubbed his
head and smiled and then gave him his 5 mg MSO4 [morphine]," Winegar
recalls. "He smiled and gave me the thumbs-up."

The boy's parents also were hurt. His mother, who had more severe
burns, was unconscious and had been intubated. (She died two weeks
later.) To protect the boy from the trauma of seeing his mother this
way, Winegar and his colleagues decided to transport her separately,
even though it would take longer. Instead of a routine
two-and-a-half-hour mission, it turned into a six-and-a-half-hour
journey, with the last leg of the trip ending in an unassisted night
flight over the Persian Gulf. "The US military does try very hard to
be kind," Winegar says. "People are people, and are treated with
respect and dignity by US and coalition forces."

Air Force PA Practices in Combat Zone
Capt Tim Howerton, PA-C, the officer in charge of medical plans and
operations for the Joint Special Operations Air Detachment-South,
keeps his clinic in a bag. Howerton, who was responsible for
evacuating casualties during combat and who also served in
Afghanistan and during the Persian Gulf war, is constantly on the go.
"On deployments, we always work from the field, away from the
mainstream," he says. "We never stay in hotels and usually do our
clinics out of tents."

Despite the rustic facilities, Howerton and his Special Operations
colleagues rely on a collection of extremely compact, high-tech tools
to help them save soldiers' lives in the middle of the combat zone.
"For CASEVAC [casualty evacuation] missions, we set up a bare-bones
ED in the air, in the back of a C-130," he says.

The equipment on board the airplane includes portable ventilators,
suction, Lifepac 10/12 portable defibrillators, thermal angels (to
heat blood or fluid), ranger wraps (to heat people), and a roll pack
— a 3 x 4-ft storage container, whose top rolls down. Inside, it
holds medication, dressings, caths, needles, sutures, airway kits,
and other supplies. Howerton's team also carries a 10-L portable
oxygen machine and several units of blood. A special generator
ensures that the equipment will work when it's needed.

On the ground, Howerton carries a bag with such items as an oxygen
bottle, bandages, meds, an airway bag, chest tubes, splints, and IVs.

Howerton, who is a career military PA, has a wife and children at
home in Florida. He has been deployed for more than a year, and is
able to exchange e-mail with his family daily. Hearing from loved
ones helps Howerton and the other Special Operations soldiers cope
with life in a desert war zone. "It's dirty, dusty, and windy, and
there's a lot of sand," he says. They live in tents and sleep in
sleeping bags. They get three meals a day, but Howerton doesn't have
much to say about the MREs (meals ready to eat). "It's a great
weight-loss program," he jokes.

While he is always armed and surrounded by highly trained troops,
Howerton doesn't let down his guard. "Any time you are in the Middle
East region and you aren't Arabic, it's a safety threat," he says.
"You just fall back on your training, you don't do stupid things, and
you think everything through." Special Operations forces keep a lower
profile than the conventional military, which also helps with safety,
he explains. "We are more secretive and usually do not let anyone
know where we are," Howerton says. "Of course, we are well armed and
operate almost exclusively at night."

To become an aeromedical PA with the Air Force Special Forces,
Howerton needed a solid background in primary care and at least 100
hours in the emergency department (ED). He also took courses in
combat casualty care, combat survival, and medical management of
chemical and biological casualties. Medically, it's exciting and
challenging work, but for Howerton, it's also meaningful on a
personal and philosophical level.

"If you could see the faces of the Iraqis and the Afghanistan people
who have been abused and tortured and don't have the everyday
freedoms we have.... Well, I hope my children never have to see
that," he says. "And I hope none of our next generations have to do
this ever again."

Nurse Anesthetist Prepares for War
Before the bombing started in Iraq, MAJ Brian Benham, CRNA, was
there, preparing for war. Benham, an instructor for the US Army
Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing at Fort Sam Houston, Texas,
was deployed in November 2002 to gather medical supplies and check
equipment in preparation for the impending conflict.

"I was part of an advance party support team with orders to
pre-position medical equipment in the Gulf, to check its readiness
and availability," Benham says. That meant spending two months at an
army base in Kuwait, Camp Doha. Most of the time, Benham was taking
inventory and inspecting MASH-style tent hospital units — complete
with portable operating rooms, x-ray rooms, and anesthesia machines —
which can be dismantled and assembled as needed along the front
lines. They are typically located 10 to 40 km from the combat zone.
Inside the tents, CRNAs and surgeons who are part of a forward
surgical team stabilize wounded soldiers for transport to a combat
support hospital.

While in Kuwait, Benham and his colleagues carefully dismantled each
anesthesia machine and checked the electrical components and circuit
boards. "We were going through the equipment to make sure it was in
good working order," he says. "That way, when the conflict did begin
we could be sure there wouldn't be any issues with the equipment."

Medical equipment has improved since the last conflict in the Persian
Gulf, says Benham, who was also deployed during Desert Storm. "The
anesthesia machine used in the Combat Support Hospitals in Desert
Storm was replaced in the late 1990s with a machine that is very
similar to an anesthesia machine you might see in any civilian
hospital," he says. The hospital tents, shelters, and monitors also
have improved, he adds.

Living conditions at Camp Doha were austere but comfortable, Benham
says. He shared a room in a trailer with two other officers. "While
it's in a strategic location, Camp Doha is a little bit bleak," he
says. "There is very little green — it's just sand, concrete, and
asphalt." The constant sandstorms during certain times of the year
can be tough to deal with, he says. "You wear goggles and pull a
bandanna over your face and continue on," he adds.

Benham was able to return home before the fighting began, but many of
his former CRNA students were deployed into the heart of combat. He
estimates a total of 364 CRNAs from all branches of the military were
deployed during the Iraq war. In Army Forward Surgical Teams, CRNAs
are the sole anesthesia providers, says Benham.

In the Forward Surgical Teams, CRNAs have to be able to function
effectively in a field environment. In addition to saving lives,
their duties might include running electrical cables, bringing in
water, hanging camouflage netting, and filling sandbags. Army CRNAs
also must be independent thinkers. "They are people who like to be
able to make decisions without having to confer with a lot of other
people," Benham says. "As CRNAs, we are given a great deal of
responsibility for our own actions."

The Army nurses who are part of the Forward Surgical Teams ride in
Humvees with a team of medics and surgeons. In Iraq, some of the
nurses riding in convoys came under enemy fire, Benham said. Since
they work so close to the front lines, the CRNAs must put aside their
fear and do their jobs. "Usually, the urge to care for people takes
over," Benham says. "It's part of our medical culture — you take care
of people. That's why we're here."

Mentoring PAs Going to Iraq
As Army PAs from the hospital at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, prepared
to ship out to Iraq, CPT Sherry Womack, SP, PA-C, a veteran of
Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, offered her most useful
piece of advice: "Just stay low and don't let the bullets hit you,"
she recalls telling them.

Womack was the only female PA to accompany Special Forces soldiers
(who typically are deployed to combat areas) during Operation
Enduring Freedom. With 20 years of experience as an Army medic and a
PA, Womack was a natural mentor. But she also had just returned from
Afghanistan, full of practical knowledge and expertise to share with
her colleagues.

For one thing, she told them to leave their handheld electronic PDAs
at home. Womack's preferred method is to carry low-tech paper
versions of all her favorite reference guides in her pocket. "I told
them with all the sand here, it may or may not work, so don't even
bring it with you," Womack says. She showed them pictures of unusual
medical conditions they might see in the civilian population, like
the flesh-eating disease leishmaniasis. Womack taught them how to
take antimalaria pills and to watch out for deadly creatures like
scorpions and poisonous vipers.

Womack, who normally works as a PA in the ED at Fort Bragg, was
called to serve with the Special Forces in Kandahar, Afghanistan,
because they needed a medical person who could treat civilian women
and children. "The local women and children were not to be treated by
men," Womack explains. "In their culture, if another man looked at
their women it was considered a curse."

While it meant leaving behind her five children, ages 4 to 18, Womack
did not hesitate to say yes to her assignment. She updated her will
and sewed special quilts for each of her kids in case they would need
comfort if she didn't come back. "It was tough, but when I went over
there, I knew what I was getting into," she says. "You've got to
prepare for the worst."

In Kandahar, Womack worked in a tent-based medical clinic similar to
those used by medical personnel in Iraq. Her duties included treating
the soldiers in her unit, along with detained enemy soldiers and
local civilians. Other times, Womack — who is barely 5 feet tall and
weighs 110 lb — donned grenades, carried a 9-mm assault rifle, and
rode with the Special Forces in armored vehicles to take care of
wounded soldiers and civilians.

Womack, who returned last fall, says the transition to coming home
wasn't easy, and the PAs returning from Iraq will face the same kind
of heartbreak and healing. When bad memories haunt her, Womack says
she tries to replace them with happy moments in the present day. "I
talk to my coworkers in the ED or I spend time with my kids," she
says. "I have a strong faith, which also helps." Serving during
wartime changes a person, she says. "When you go without electricity,
water, and even toilet paper — things people here take for granted
every day — it makes you see things differently when you get back,"
she says. "It makes you see what's important."

The military life isn't for every PA, but Womack says it fits her
skills and personality. She stays because of the camaraderie she
feels with her fellow soldiers and her loyalty to the Army. When
you're an Army PA, she says, the word Army always comes before PA.
"You're a soldier first, so you've got to be prepared to carry a gun,
accept orders, and go where they call you," Womack says. "It's a
different kind of medicine."

Melissa Knopper, Contributing Writer

Clinician News 7(5):1, 16-17, 21, 2003. © 2003 Clinicians Group, LLC