Hello Sniffer Folks,

We have improved our rulebase compiler scheduling and efficiency.
This has allowed us to increase the pace of rulebase updates by approximately 20%. You should see a further reduction in leakage rates and slightly more frequent rulebase updates.

----

Also: Did you know that Message Sniffer is designed not only to filter spam, but also to filter any email containing malware or viruses?

We recently performed a spot check by throwing a corpus of 200K known virus emails at SNF. Only 76 leaked. According to that and other similar tests SNF typically captures 99.962% of infected email.

This means that for most systems using SNF there is no need to also scan for viruses on the mail server -- SNF does it all at once. Anything that does get by SNF should be captured by desktop virus protection -- something nobody should do without since email is not the only way viruses can get into your systems.

It's important to note that infected messages may not be marked as malware -- SNF is designed learn and look for all kinds of unusual artifacts that help to identify unwanted messages and many of those are used not only in malware but also in other kinds of spam. So, a lot of the time infected messages are captured by patterns that were learned while looking at ordinary spam.

Please let us know if there is more we can do.

Best,

Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist
ARM Research Labs, LLC