On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 07:54:07PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

|    I know the Triton expects to see something like a 12 volt car
|    battery, so can I/ how would I go about using this power supply without
|    frying the Triton?

If you're worried about futzing around, then I'd just skip that PS and
get a 12v one.

I picked up a PS with the same shape/form factor for about the same
price a few years ago on Ebay and it was 12 volts.  It had a pot that
would fine tune the voltage, but I doubt it could drop it by 50%.  (It
also put out the same power -- they halved the voltage, and doubled
the amperage.)

Ebay seems to have lots of similar power supplies that do 12v, but the
price seems to have gone up, and many are in Hong Kong ...

|    I have a stack of like five old computer power supplies on the bench, I
|    had thought about getting one of them to work for this using the
|    Internet directions but don't have the time/inclination to futz around.

It's probably less futzing than modifying a 24v PS to be 12v anyways ...

|    This one is $24 and that's about half what the local Radio Scrap store
|    would charge for something similar.

Radio Shack is easily beaten.  Though even $50 at RS for a 6A PS
seems a bit cheap.

If there's a local ham radio swap meet, they're good places to look
for this sort of thing.  Or go down to Goodwill, and find a laptop or
printer power brick that emits 12 volts.

The Triton can use up to 13 amps, but unless you charge large NiCd or
NiMH packs (5 amps, 20 cells, that sort of stuff) you'll never go
anywhere near that limit, and can do with a much smaller power supply.
Six amps will probably handle most people just fine, for example.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
There is no monument dedicated to the memory of a committee.