I based my  VM tests on these instructions:

http://agnipulse.com/2009/07/boot-your-usb-drive-in-virtualbox/

with Strawberry you can let it plain boot, and it goes fine,( maybe it's better
you first boot a newly created stick the normal way for the first time... )
I think this feature of VB is not available on mac now...

ciao carlo (F)