Thanks Gary. That makes total sense. Unfortunately the file definitely
wasn't protected in any way, so this incident is still a bit of a mystery.

On a related matter, however, am I correct in thinking that if a graylisted
sender resends after the "-min" interval but fails to pass another filter
(which on my systems includes DENIED_OTHER which can indicate a full mailbox
or a spamassassin/clamav fail), their graylisting file will not be updated -
i.,e. they could still have a 0 byte graylist file, as though they never
resent? Or am I imagining that I read something like this in the docs?

This isn't what happened in the incident I'm talking about - I'm just
thinking in general terms.

Faris. (please excuse the HTML in my reply)

It's my understanding (which may be faulty) that spamdyke always creates a 0
byte file the first time it gets mail from the domain.  When it sees another
email from that domain (after the prerequisite graylist-min-secs delay) then
it puts the sending server into the file and allows the mail to go through
as long as mail comes from that exact server.  This is why you sometimes see
multiple servers listed in the graylist file.  Spamdyke does clean up these
files periodically (as set by graylist-max-secs)

My guess is that this file was protected, preventing spamdyke from doing
it's job. This could happen if someone changed the owner of the file or it's
permissions.

Gary