Dear all,

Some of you may recall that I've posted a question on this topic before.

Essentially I'm having a problem with some sender/recipient pairs being
somehow permanently graylisted, with 0 byte graylist entry in the graylist
directory path never being removed.

I've just woken up at 3am UK time and had to post this right now because I
think I'm on to something and want to check while those of you on the other
side of the Atlantic (particularly Sam) are still awake.

What I didn't say before because I just didn't think about it was that
there's a secondary mail server involved which is whitelisted in spamdyke's
graylist-exception-ip-file.

So we have main Plesk system with the mailboxes and with spamdyke and
graylisting enabled.

In the DNS for the domains, this server has the highest priority MX record.

But there's also a secondary (essentially store-and-forward) mail system
involved with a lower priority MX record in the DNS records. This server has
no filtering at all. No spamdyke. No nothing (Yes, I know, bad idea not to
have filtering, but that's how it is).

The idea is that if the main server is down, mail will go to this secondary
server which will store the email until the main server is up, at which
point it sends all the spooled emails across.

This secondary mailserver's IP is whitelisted in the spamdyke
graylist-exception-ip-file. And I think that's the problem. Let me explain:

I could be wrong, but I believe that the messages that never seem to escape
graylisting all end up being sent to this secondary mailserver which then
attempts to deliver them to the main Plesk box but isn't able to as the
messages keep on being mysteriously constantly graylisted.

So here's what I think is happening:

Mail is sent to Plesk server

Spamdyke rejects message through graylisting

0 byte graylist file is created

Sender then tries again, but this time sends to lower priority MX (secondary
mailserver)

Secondary mailserver then tries to deliver the message to Plesk server

*** And here's what I think things go wrong:: Because the IP of the
secondary mailserver is whitelisted in the graylist-exception-ip-file AND a
0 byte graylist file exists, spamdyke somehow gets very confused. Some bit
of code doesn't get run due to the whitelisting, but the 0 byte then
triggers another bit of code which in turn triggers a graylisting rejection
of the mail, even though it is long past the graylist-min-secs interval.
Essentially the graylist lock never gets removed.

Am I on to something or I this just wishful thinking?

Obviously the next step is to test what happens when the IP of the secondary
mailserver is removed from the graylist-exception-ip-file (and now that I
think about it, I don't think it really should have been there), but I was
hoping to shortcut this if my suggestions is absolutely impossible.