To my knowledge, that issue was never solved.  Dossy Shiobara sent a followup
here:
        https://www.mail-archive.com/spamdyke-users@spamdyke.org/msg03208.html
But nothing after that.

Can you tell if your sender has anything in common with what Dossy and Ron
figured out?

If you use spamdyke's "full-log-dir" feature to capture one of these timeouts,
you'll be able to see exactly where the SMTP protocol stops.  You should
probably recompile spamdyke with excessive output first so you'll get as much
detail as possible:
        ./configure --with-excessive-output
        make
Then replace your existing spamdyke binary with the new one.

-- Sam Clippinger

On Feb 4, 2014, at 3:34 PM, Bruce Schreiber <bschrei...@max.md> wrote:

> Sam,
>
> I found this thread on the web from 2011.
> https://www.mail-archive.com/spamdyke-users@spamdyke.org/msg03120.html
>
> We are now thinking that it might not be TLS but just a timeout.  Is it
> possible to get better granularity about what condition is timing out?  I
> have attached my spamdyke config file for reference.
>
> Bruce
>
> On 02/04/2014 12:30 PM, Sam Clippinger wrote:
>> I apologize for taking so long to reply to your message, I didn't see it
>> until this morning and didn't have time to respond until now.
>>
>> Could you provide a link to the thread you read?  I don't remember it
>> offhand and searching my email archives for "timeout" turns up hundreds of
>> messages.
>>
>> As far as requiring TLS from your mail clients but not other servers, I'm
>> not sure how you can do that.  How can spamdyke tell the difference between
>> a mail client and a remote server?  If you're just talking about
>> authentication, you could configure spamdyke to block authentication on port
>> 25 connections ("smtp-auth-level=none"), which would force your users to use
>> port 587 in order to authenticate, but that still wouldn't force them to use
>> TLS.  Maybe if you blocked authentication on port 25, turned off port 587,
>> then required authentication on port 465 where SSL is mandatory, that might
>> work.  I can't imagine your helpdesk staff would thank you for that change
>> though.
>>
>> I'm already planning to add a filter to a future version to block
>> authentication unless SSL/TLS is in use, but I can't give you an ETA on that.
>>
>> -- Sam Clippinger
>>

>> On Feb 3, 2014, at 8:05 PM, Bruce Schreiber <bschrei...@max.md> wrote:
>>
>>> Problem: TLS reason: TIMEOUT
>>>
>>> I read an old thread on this problem, but did not see a solution. What
>>> was the outcome?
>>> # spamdyke -v
>>> spamdyke 4.3.1+TLS+CONFIGTEST+DEBUG (C)2012 Sam Clippinger, samc (at)
>>> silence (dot) org
>>> http://www.spamdyke.org/
>>>
>>> Use -h for an option summary or see README.html for complete option details.
>>>
>>> # uname -a
>>> Linux rs6.max.md 2.6.18-194.17.1.el5 #1 SMP Mon Sep 20 07:12:06 EDT 2010
>>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>
>>> In spamdyke.config
>>>
>>> tls-level=smtp
>>>
>>> tls-certificate-file=/var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
>>>
>>> Also, I am confused about one thing.  We want to require TLS for SMTP
>>> between QMAIL  and the mail client.  We do not care about TLS from QMAIL
>>> to another Mail server.  If I turn off the SPAMDYKE tls-level, and leave
>>> the tls patch in QMAIL will the client side TLS still work and the
> [...]
>>> 917 532 4995 cell
>>> bschrei...@max.md
>>> www.max.md