Eric, your advice is always appreciated - never hesitate to give it!

I didn't explain the situation fully for brevity - the mailscanners do have
spamdyke. They do all the email spam blocking, scanning etc, but only for
particular domains.
And since they do so, I don't want the Plesk box to do any scanning at all
on email that comes from them, but I do want it to totally reject any mail
that comes from any other IP (e.g. spammers sending to www A record and
ignoring MX record), hence the need to whitelisting the scanner's IPs and
blacklisting all other IPs.

But I only want to do this on the Plesk box for those domains that the
mailscanners handle - there are other domains on the Plesk box that have no
external scanner and do need the full assistance of spamdyke, spamassassin
and clamd running on the Plesk box.

I've done some testing and it works pretty well so far. The x-y wildcard
works with an ip-blacklist-entry line.

 QMailToaster is almost what I want as a mailscanner, but does more than I
need really in that it designed to act as a full mailserver rather than just
as an AV/AS node. I am going to investigate it more, as I think it is really
interesting.

I've previously looked at Mailscanner with the Baruva GUI but it took me
many hours of attempting to install all sorts of python this and python that
and totally failing to get them all to install or compile even when
following a step-by-step (many, many pages!) instruction list, so I gave up.