Drat!  Just when I thought I'd found every possible corner case, another corner
appears.  That should be one of those Laws of Programming or something...

Anyway, I'm pretty confused -- vpopmail doesn't do anything internally to
handle alias domains, it just adds another line to /var/qmail/users/assign and
lets qmail do the work (as opposed to the way it handles forward addresses,
which is very different).

I'm not able to reproduce this.  I setup a virtual machine with only one domain
on it, created through vpopmail: test.spamdyke.org
Then I created a single mailbox under that domain: s...@test.spamdyke.org
Then I added an alias domain: /home/vpopmail/bin/vaddaliasdomain
alias.spamdyke.org test.spamdyke.org
When I test validation of s...@test2.spamdyke.org, it works: spamdyke-qrv -v
alias.spamdyke.org samc

I also tried creating a forward address under the real domain and validating it
through the forward domain: /home/vpopmail/bin/valias -i s...@silence.org
forwarda...@test.spamdyke.org
Then tried validating the forward through the alias domain: spamdyke-qrv -v
alias.spamdyke.org forwardaddr
But that works too.

Could you provide a little more detail about how your aliases and forwards are
set up?  Or better yet, could you try recompiling spamdyke-qrv with excessive
output and validating the address from the command line?  You shouldn't need to
replace the running binary to do this, just running it from the source folder
should work:
        cd /path/to/src/spamdyke-5.0.1/spamdyke-qrv
        VALIAS_PATH=/path/to/valias VUSERINFO_PATH=/path/to/vuserinfo
./configure --with-vpopmail-support --with-excessive-output
        make
        ./spamdyke-qrv -vv aliaseddomain.com forwardtest
That will produce a ton of output, but it'll show every step spamdyke-qrv is
using to validate the address.

-- Sam Clippinger