I'm not familiar with GreyLite at all, but "connection-time" means spamdyke
does its work while the message is still coming into your mail server -- while
the connection with the sending server is active.  This is as opposed to
filtering messages in the mail queue, after the remote server is no longer
connected (and believes the message has been delivered).  The advantage of a
connection-time filter is the remote server sees the rejection and the spam is
never stored on your server at all.  Rejecting messages after they've been
queued requires either sending a bounce message or delivering it to a user's
"Junk" folder.

This distinction comes up a lot around qmail regarding recipient validation.
By itself, qmail does not validate recipients when messages are accepted.  Any
username at a valid domain is accepted, then bounced later if the address turns
out to be invalid.  This leads to the problem of "backscatter spam" -- spammers
deliberately send messages to invalid addresses and set the "from" address to
their intended target.  A qmail server will bounce the message (complete with
spam or virus) to the victim.  For qmail to validate recipients at connection
time requires a patch or a filter like spamdyke.

-- Sam Clippinger