IMHO, everyone should delete the softlimit program from their servers
immediately.  Not that I have a strong opinion on the matter or anything. :)

The softlimit program seems like a good idea -- set an upper limit on the
amount of RAM a program can use, to guard against memory leaks (but not buffer
overflows).  In practice however, it causes far far more problems than it
causes.  When a program hits the limit, it always happens inside a library
function and not the application itself.  So the user sees strange errors from
glibc or OpenSSL functions that are never related to memory allocation.  Those
errors always look like real bugs, because there's never any indication the
limit was hit.

There's also no way to even estimate how much memory is "correct".  Does anyone
really understand how many libraries a program loads and how much memory they
need?  spamdyke uses OpenSSL and on some systems, separate libraries for math
and DNS functions.  Unpatched qmail doesn't use many libraries, but if patches
have been applied to allow TLS or authentication, it may use many (who uses
unpatched qmail anyway?).  If vpopmail is in use, it may need MySQL, depending
on how it was compiled.  If the server is configured to use stack guarding or
memory profiling, the virtual memory use could be astronomical.  Every guide
I've ever read says to use trial-and-error to find the lowest value that
appears to work, then double (or triple) it.  Crazy!

I've spent way way too much time trying to track down "bugs" that were caused
by softlimit and I finally reached my own limit this year.  That's why spamdyke
5.0.1 examines the limits it starts with and, if it can, resets them.  It can't
undo "hard limits" set by the ulimit program, but it can (and does) undo
softlimit.

-- Sam Clippinger