I'm online in my Linux box finally!  One can't even understand how
much frustration I had to go through, but it all seems to be working
fine and well now.

Why?  I think this is important to note and update the linux-usb guide
appropriately.

Frustrated of not finding anyone who could help me solve my problem,
while knowing that I had followed every single step of the linux-usb
guide properly, led me to look into ubuntuforums.org where I found
many, many people with SpeedTouch problems.  I hate this bloody modem.

However, every reply to anyone's problem seemed to be nothing but a
link to the ubuntu guide at linux-usb, even when people said they had
already followed those instructions.  There was also a few mentions of
a new program that would make the guide's steps all the much easier
for the average joe.  I didn't look into it.

The only gold nugget came from another frustrated user who managed to
solve his problem by himself and then post the solution.  He installed
some library called libatm1, which apparently made his connection
work.  Oh really, I thought.  Well, my ISP uses PPPoE, but I guess it
won't hurt to try it.

I downloaded the libatm1_2.4.1-17_i386.deb from ubuntu repositories,
logged back into this machine, installed the library, and restarted.
Voilá!  It's working and working very well.  And that's all I wanted!

I don't know what this libatm1 does exactly and why it's needed.  I'm
not sure either if it was available  in earlier versions of Ubuntu and
got removed for 7.0x.  All I know is that after installing it, my
connection started working.  This is something important to consider
to at least make some sort of mention in the linux-usb guide.

OK, thank you and good bye.

Ivo

Pour se d�sinscrire : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]