For several days I have been trying to configure my speedtouch usb modem on my
gentoo box. I tried the documentation for gentoo  at
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/gentoo/index.html But I have not been
sucessful. I am connected to a LAN with a static ip address, netmask gateway
and dns. I do not have a password or a username. I am not sure whther I need to
take the connection as PPPoA or PPPoE. My connection through a USB port. So I
assume that it is PPPoA.
The properties of the workibng connection in my window partition is as follows:

Connection
VPI 8
VCI 35
Type: RFC 1483B
Encapsulation: LLC
FCS: Automatic

ADSL type: POTS
Adsl Mode: Gdmt.A

I configure it as PPPoA and when I tried to call speedtoch, this is what
happens:

localhost ppp # pppd call speedtch

Plugin pppoatm.so loaded.

PPPoATM plugin_init

PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:8.35

using channel 1

Using interface ppp0

Connect: ppp0 <--> 8.35

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0xd2c936dd>]

LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Connection terminated.

Modem hangup

I gave the ip address and netmask assigned to my machine in the file
/etc/ppp/options. But I do not have any idea as to where I have to give my
static gateway. I gave the command

#add net default gw X.X.X.X

but get the error

#SICOCADDRT: No such device

Please tell me how I have to go about setting up my connection.

Tommy