Hi

To install my Speedtouch modem in Feisty Fawn I used the following link from
the Ubuntu website and it work. I'm new to Linux as well.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbAdslModem/SpeedTouch?highlight=(adsl)|(modem)

The instructions differ slightly from the ones at the link you are using.

On system boot up the modem installs and logs on to the Net. This connection is
always on so I use the Firestarter firewall for protection.

Best Wishes

Paul