On 2009-09-21, Tom Hoffman wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Roberto Alsina
><rals...@netmanagers.com.ar> wrote:

>> On Monday 21 September 2009 15:05:00 Tom Hoffman wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>>> Is there any way to force page breaks in pdf generation?

>> Via latex or via rst2pdf?

> Well... just generally inserting page breaks in my Sphinx scripts.  I
> don't have any preference regarding the specific technique.

* There is no generally supported page-break element in the
  reStructuredText markup language.

* You can configure page-breaks at certain elements (e.g. before level-1
  sections) in the custom style sheets.

  Custom style sheets are writer dependent, so it matters, whether you
  use rst2latex, rst2newlatex, or the rst2pdf extension.

With rst2latex:

* Page breaks before top-level sections are the default with a
  documentclass that provides "chapters", e.g.  "book", "memoir" or
  "scrbook".

* Redefining the \section or \section* command in a
  style sheet is possible too.

* `Raw latex` can be used::

    .. raw:: latex

      \newpage % hard pagebreak at exactly this position

  or

    .. raw:: latex

      \pagebreak[2] % recommended page break after line end (precedence 1...4)

* The transition element can be re-defined to produce a page break,
  e.g.

  in a style sheet::

    \newcommand*{\DUtransition}{\pagebreak[4]}

  or in the document::

    .. raw:: latex

      \renewcommand*{\DUtransition}{\pagebreak[4]}

(The redefining of the transition element requires a recent snapshot of
the Docutils and might not (yet) work with Sphinx.)

Günter