I've tried to benchmark alchemy performance when inserting a lot of data.
The results wasn't that good for sqlalchemy. The difference was up to three
times in median values.

First of all the more elements inserted the more the difference between
sqlalchemy and executemany (mysqlclient).
I've profiled the code - most of the time spent in visit_bind_param and
BindParam initializer. I've skimmed over the code and no places for
optimization are obvious, however it seems like the logic is too much
compilcated. There's a lot of conditions etc. Maybe this can be simplified
in some way or maybe there could be a parameter in the insert that user can
use to say that he don't want any complex logic, he just inserting some
data and he takes the responsibility that the data is correct.

Next thing is that in executemany they keep an eye on the size of the
string to be executed and if it's more than max_allowed_packet limit they
split it into batches (they hardcoded this limit though instead of taking
it from database at runtime).
Not only sqlalchemy isn't doing that - it doesn't provide a way to know
what the size of a string would be. And the only thing the user can do is
too catch exception and use heuristics to split the data.