PACIFICATION FOR A PIPELINE: EXPLAINING THE U.S. MILITARY PRESENCE IN
THE
BALKANS

Marjorie Cohn
Thomas Jefferson School of Law

JURIST - The Legal Education Network -
http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/forumnew22.htm

Despite President George W. Bush's rhetoric about withdrawing our forces
from the Balkans, we can expect a strong continuing U.S. presence there.

Why? It's all about the transportation of massive oil resources from the

Caspian Sea through the Balkans, and maintaining U.S. hegemony in the
region.

Although NATO ostensibly bombed Yugoslavia to stop ethnic cleansing, the
bombing was actually part of a strategy of containment, to keep the
region
safe for the Trans-Balkan oil pipeline that will transport Caspian oil
through Macedonia and Albania. The pipeline is slated to carry 750,000
barrels a day, worth about $600 million a month at current prices.

Cooperation of the Albanians with the pipeline project was likely
contingent
on the U.S. helping them wrest control of Kosovo from the Serbs. The
U.S.
seeks to contain Macedonia as well, supporting both sides in the
conflagration there. Military Professional Resources International, a
mercenary company on contract to the Pentagon, has trained both the
Kosovo
Liberation Army and the Macedonian army. MPRI also supplied and trained
the
Croatian army in 1994 and 1995 before the Croatians cleansed more than
100,000 Serbs from the Krajina region.

The bombing was not aimed at ethnic cleansing. It was part of U.S.-run
NATO' s eastward expansion as a counterweight to Russia, which wants the
Caspian
oil pipeline to run through its territory. NATO, created during the Cold
War
to protect Western Europe from the Soviets, should have disbanded after
the
breakup of the USSR.

But a 1992 draft of the Pentagon's Defense Planning Guidance advocated
continued U.S. leadership in NATO by "discouraging the advanced
industrialized nations from challenging our leadership or even aspiring
to a
larger global or regional role." Secretary of State Colin Powell
recently
said, if we decide to expand NATO, "we should not fear that Russia will
object; we will do it because it is in our interest."

Bush is walking a delicate tightrope. He calls for Europe to do the
grunt
work in the Balkans, but also wants to prevent the European Union from
becoming more powerful than U.S.-led NATO. A U.S. Army officer stationed
in
Bosnia, speaking anonymously to the Los Angeles Times, observed wryly,
"The
only thing the Europeans need us Americans for is the leadership."

The U.S. has invested too much in the region to pull out. After the NATO
bombing campaign, the U.S. spent $36.6 million to build Camp Bondsteel
in
southern Kosovo. The largest American foreign military base constructed
since Vietnam, Bondsteel was built by the Brown & Root Division of
Halliburton, the world's biggest oil services corporation, which was run
by
Richard Cheney before he was tapped for Vice-President.

NATO's bombs, never sanctioned by the United Nations, were not
"humanitarian
intervention." The alleged mass graves were never found by the FBI, and
the
10,000-11,000 bodies NATO touted turned out to number about 2000-3000,
mostly in KLA strongholds. Even the Marine Corps Gazette concluded after
the
bombing that the "resulting deaths of thousands of Serbian soldiers,
civilians, and Kosovar Albanians and the displacement of hundreds of
thousands more can hardly be viewed as a victory for humanitarianism."

It is the purview of the United Nations, not the United States, to
authorize
humanitarian intervention. If the U.S. really wanted to provide
humanitarian
assistance to the people of Yugoslavia, it would encourage the
International
Monetary Fund to forgive $14 billion in loans from prior regimes,
finance
reparations to rebuild the infrastructure destroyed by its bombs, and
remove
the U.S. troops from the region.

----
Marjorie Cohn, an associate professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law
in
San Diego, participated in the International Law and Ethics Conference
on
Humanitarian Intervention last year in Belgrade. She sits on the
national
executive committee of the National Lawyers Guild.

April 27, 2001

STOP NOVOM SVETSKOM PORETKU