Guys,

just to let you know that Nexenta was working for quite some time on its COMSTAR VTape driver. It is now beta ready and feature complete as far as code is concerned:

http://www.nexentastor.org/projects/vtape

It requires b131+ to compile and run. Tested with NexentaStor and with many Backup vendors - results are very good.

Yes, we hope to push this into OpenSolaris code base at some point and looking for Beta users.

Originally code was contributed by Sumit Gupta, who is a well-know COMSTAR creator and former Sun's rock star! So, we sure that from design perspective our implementation is the best.

Give it a try people!