I've finally had a chance to download this check-in. Please note that while
I've built it, I haven't yet had a chance to test it with anything. Are
there any examples yet which include all these new features (exceptions,
roles, multi-apps, etc.)? There's a lot get one's arms around.

Most importantly, this is great stuff and really appreciated. If one of the
committers would propose giving Craig a raise, I'd +1 it. ;)

So... Some general comments and comments from looking at pieces of the code:

1. I don't know if this is carved in stone yet, but IMHO this is much more
than a 1.1 release. Perhaps not a 2.0 release, but at least a 1.5 release.
The implications of a single point release to me are minor functional
enhancements and bug fixes. These are substantive, major functional
enhancements which still provide backward compatibility. Again, just my
opinion...

2. I'm thrilled to see all the config-related stuff broken out from the
servlet. I did this myself in some recent attempts at refactoring
ActionServlet, and the effort was desperately needed to make ActionServlet
more approachable. Naturally, Craig did a better job than I, as he gave each
piece of config info its own class. Much more manageable and flexible that
way.

3. In the DTD, the BeanName entity is being overloaded somewhat in that it's
used for naming keys to various context attributes as well as for the form
beans. BeanName is documented as having to be a legal Java identifier since
it's used in JSPs; not sure off the top of my head if that is a constraint
on attribute names in the various servlet contexts or not. In any case,
might I suggest a "ContextKey" entity be added to the DTD and that used
where appropriate (data-source.key, action.attribute, etc.).

4. Breaking out the request processing into RequestProcessor is also huge.
ActionServlet plus the config stuff seem like they can now stand alone with
pluggable request processing easily able to reuse those elements.

5. In the new ActionServlet, doGet and doPost are identical. Would it be
better to delegate their implementations, simple though they are, to a
protected overridable method?

6. It's a little confusing seeing member variables of type and name
"FastHashmap actions" in both ApplicationConfig and RequestProcessor.
Perhaps the variable names could be clarified.

7. Is the special handling for the default app's ControllerConfig and
MessageResourcesConfig so that existing web.xml files will still work for
setting those parameters?

8. ActionForward and ActionMappings both still retain references to
ActionServlet, and in both cases it seems primarily to allow the user of an
ActionForward or ActionMappings to get a reference to the servlet. With the
drastic changes to ActionServlet, what method on ActionServlet would the
user of an ActionForward or ActionMappings need to call? I guess what I'm
saying is that it would be nice to deprecate and/or remove those
getServlet/setServlet methods from those classes if they're not really
required, esp. if the "best practice" way to get to a resource is through
one of the contexts. FWIW...

Thanks for bearing with me. Please note that I'm not trying to avoid
contributing by bringing up these issues. I want to make sure I don't jump
to any false conclusions before I try to help out.

Thanks again,

Donnie