Typically, there would be a finite number of inputs, and you could have
a logical forward for each one.

The ActionMappings form an API for the legal entry points to the
application.

Usually, the only thing that is truly dynamic is a reference into a data
source, to look something up. In that case, the link tag can take one or
more dynamic parameters, based on the collection of beans used to write
it.

In that case, the action usually gets the parameters from the request,
and uses them to look up whatever is required.