Hello,

I need some pointers and information about the assignment and management of users and roles in a Struts based web application.

I currently run that application (Struts 1.0 and Velocity) with very limited control over WHO is allowed to do WHAT. Currently I only have three roles and all I do after logon is to present a different menu for each user role. All of that is hard-coded. I need more flexibility, security and a mechanism to define and assign new roles quickly.

The application has several datasources:

- database (Sybase SQL)
- several CORBA servers providing services and access to data

I plan to update to Struts 1.1. When reading parts of the documentation I learned that there is now support for role-checking on Action-level. I should also have a menu, that supports roles (an administrator sees different things than a normal user etc...)

Since a database that allows me to extend the datamodel is part of the whole system, I prefer storing information about users, groups and their roles in that database.

Authentication is done by a login-check on a Windows NT or Active Directory domain (I have written sprecific CORBA servers with a JavaBean based client). Currently the users get a login form where they can select where to login (NT or any Active Directory Domain [W2K or W2K3 domain controlers]). During the login operation I check some memberships in specific groups on NT / W2K / W2K3 to find out a 'role' of a user. I am looking for an OS-independant solution.

Questions:
========

1) How are Roles defined? Where are they stored?
I don't want these things stored in a XML file. Is there a way to store these things in a database? Is there any documentation about a datamodel (Fields, datatypes etc)

2) How are roles assigned to users or groups of users? Where are these assignments stored? Basically roles should be assigned to groups. Users will then join or leave groups with specific privileges.

3) What do I need to do in Struts to configure all this? I read that since 1.1 I can define a role property in ActionMappings. How and against what is that definition verified? Are there any standard/basic mechanisms that can be extended ?

4) Is there any menu system available, that supports roles and can be integrated in a Struts based application?

5) Are there any special considerations when moving from Struts 1.0 to 1.1? With other words, is the code backward compatible or will my working code for 1.0 not work anymore on 1.1?

Many thanks for any help, suggestions and resources for further information on the above topics.

Thomas