Dear all   I would like to ask your opinion on the first sundials which
inspired gnomonic inventions developed through following centuries. In all
literature available  in my country it is repeated that the first dials were
sticks set upright on sent or big trees and rocks casting shadow on earth. This
allowed the first men to observe the shadow motions throughout the day. Well, I
guess it is a way to describe the beggining.. yet it does not satisfy me -
sounds pretty boring :)    Considering the scaphe and other hemispheric dials
of Greece there seems to be a vast gap between the above concept and those very
sophisticated dials. Does any of the group members have any other perspective
on how it all could really begin? (apart from any alien intervention theory).
--  Best regards  Darek Oczki  52N 21E  Warsaw, Poland  GNOMONIKA.pl  Sundials
in Poland  gnomonika.pl