I read in the December 2016 BSS Bulletin about OpenSCAD. So I had to try it.

My website has notes and working sundial programs for DeltaCAD, NanoCAD,
FreeCAD, Blender, ProgeCAD, TurboCAD, and PowerDRAW (includes my trig
functions). So I decided to try OpenSCAD.

I have a 2D depiction of a horizontal sundial and notes on writing 2D
programs for OpenSCAD. The assignment of variables is similar to TurboCAD's
"parametric script", and scope of variables is rather strict. The end
result is that there is apparent duplication of code. Not having a "line"
command or function was somewhat inhibiting, so I used "polygon". The 2D
commands or functions are circle, square, and polygon.

OpenSCAD installed very easily, no additional libraries were needed, and
the 3D display was very clean.

If you wish to play with OpenSCAD, my notes, disorganized though they may
be, might be helpful. I only focused on the 2D aspects of OpenSCAD.

I also updated Programming Shadows to reflect programming for OpenSCAD. The
table of contents, fyi, is:-

INTRO                   3          INTRODUCTION

                              4          Available programming systems and
languages

TECHNIQUES      6          Object Oriented Methods, and classes

                               8          Language comparisons and
techniques

                             65         Programming techniques: geometry to
trigonometry to programming

MAINFRAME      74         Early computers

                              75         IBM 1401          second
programming language I learned

                            107        IBM 360             third
programming language I learned

                            140        IBM 7094           (FORTRAN II)

TABULAR           145       Excel                  Open Office ~ notes for
spreadsheets

CAD                     153       *DeltaCAD*          programmable 2d CAD
system, uses BASIC

                             165       *NanoCAD*          programmable 2d
CAD system, uses VBS, free

176       *FreeCAD           *programmable 2d CAD system, uses Python, free

186       *ProgeCAD*        programmable 2d CAD system, uses LISP,

                           free if non commercial, (AutoCAD compatible)

195       *TurboCAD        *VBS

197                                  Parametric Script

202                                  notes when manually drafting in 3d

204       *Powerdraw*       a Pascal like free CAD program

210       *OpenSCAD*       a 2D and 3D free CAD system

SCIENTIFIC        224       Euler                 Scientific graphical
programmable systems

                             231       Octave              “ “

                             239       SciLab              “ “

PROCEDURAL  244       JustBASIC        a free and an upgraded IDE BASIC
system

                             247       C  C++  C#        *C++ and* old
fashioned ways of graphics, and *C# and *

                                                            modern
graphical methods using Canvas (Visual Studio)

                             272       FORTRAN         *and* old fashioned
ways of graphics

                             276       Algol                first language
I used in 1966, *and* old fashioned graphics

                             283       ADA

                             292       Pascal              *and* old
fashioned ways of graphics

                             296       Lazarus           a Pascal IDE & GUI
system

                             320       COBOL

                             332       Visual Basic      Envelop (no longer
available), but good insights, then

                                                            the Visual
Express system, and also dotNET, and finally

                                                            the* 2013
Visual Studio* implementation.

                             343       JAVA                Eclipse
                        (as in stand alone Java programs)

                             352                              NetBeans
         (as in stand alone Java programs)

                             367       JavaScript        as in web pages,
good introduction to the Java world

                             383       Python, as in… Blender ~ a free 3D
modeling system

                             408       Python, as in… as a standalone
programming system
                             416       Perl                  stand alone
PERL

--
Simon Wheaton-Smith
www.illustratingshadows.com