In my experience the best graphics programming has been Qt which is a set
of C++ templates (no binary library needed and you can see the code). It's
very fast and uses only native widgets (so no need for installing anything,
unlike Java, no virtual machine, etc.). If so desired, it can be inserted
in VisualStudio as a plug-in. On Linux there is a separate application to
test and debug the graphics, very nice. Because it's all source code, Qt is
not stuck with old technology, unlike Java which AFAIK still uses the
somewhat creaky by now listener model for their GUI.

I worked with Qt twice, once at a biotech company, the program was very
large, for chemistry simulations (at that time the largest Qt program ever
marketed, it was even mentioned on the Qt web page) and some tears later at
an educational video games company. Qt worked fantastic in both cases,
top-notch technology. Very highly recommended.

--
Jan