Many thanks to those who have answered my questions.

Geoffrey Thurston’s summary is clear and accords with the rudimentary, but
effective, instrumental approach advocated by Lancelot Hogben in his epic book,
Science for the Citizen.

Mike Shaw has added succinct advice, and the reason for choosing 1000 years was
to divorce myself from sophisticated instruments and assume a certain naivety.
However, Frank’s note make it clear that some prior knowledge would be useful.
Indeed, makes the point indirectly, that we are always linked to the past.

The comment about using the stars in the 1850s fits with my own understanding.
The handy publication On the Line: The Story of the Greenwich Meridian, by
Graham Dolan, National Maritime Museum (2005), shows a diagram containing 67
clock stars for a list dated 1850. Say three an hour!

Pendulum clocks had reached a plateau in performance, but some horologists are
fantasising by asking ‘what if’ questions. Specifically if John Harrison’s
ideas ‘for 1 second in 100 days’ had been implemented there could have been a
big improvement in longer term accuracy and thus of benefit to astronomers.
Others have countered, given the complexity of making a clock as per Harrison,
by saying that there was no demand for significant improvements. In fact at
Greenwich, G B Airy concentrated on improving the transit telescope and
observation techniques.

Pendulum clocks only improved when the air pressure around the pendulum was
held constant in a chamber (Riefler, 1900s) or lowering the air pressure
(Hamilton Shortt, 1930s).

Given my relatively limited knowledge of sundials, clocks and astronomy, and
what is still to learn, I will demote myself to the making the tea in the
Observatory…

Regards, Doug