When taking light meter readings for photography, it is common to use an
18% grey card in place of the object which will actually be photographed.
This is generally considered to give a reading which will accurately
balance light and dark.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_card

Might be worth examining as an ideal tone for a sundial?

*Patrick Vyvyan*

*Presidente*

*Corporación Cultural de Putaendo*