Tony Moss described a secure and permanent mounting method using bolts
permanently fixed to the underside of the dial.  The dial is then set in
mortar atop the pedestal, and the bolts become permanently fixed in the
mortar.  Lord knows how this could be removed later.

Another method involved using a silicone adhesive to fix the dial to the
pedestal (no bolts).  Use cardboard spacers to ensure an 1/8" gap from the
pedestal surface.  If it ever needed to be removed, it cold be separated
from the pedestal by cutting under the dial with a flexible hacksaw blade.

-Bill