From: "tonylindi...@talktalk.net" <tonylindi...@talktalk.net>
To: <rodwall1...@gmail.com>, <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Subject: Mounting Sundials...securely
Date: Thu, May 18, 2017 5:30 AM

Hi Rod,
A determined vandal will move anything or destroy it in the process.  Sundials
seem to present a special challenge to them.  I have made many dials which
others said were likely to be stolen and so far there have been no such reports.

My method is simple viz. the gnomon must stand on a 'foot' surrounding it then
it passes right through a 'mortise' in the dial plate into a deep bed of
mortar.  The tenon is profiled to give maximum grip in the mortar bedding and
metal screws passing through the tip give an extra hold. "Steal that if you
can!"  The gnomon 'foot' in my dials is usually made by machining away/thinning
some of the protruding tenon.  A cast metal gnomon could provide a very
substantial foot.

For larger dial plates, bolts with large heads are threaded into the underside
of the plate and secured similarly into holes in the pedestal.

Lots of photographs on request.

Tony Moss

P.S.  I sldo recall designing a 'sundial thief trap' which had to be 'emptied
at least once a year!' ;-)