Harmon

I have always believed that studies show the politics of the payee.  In my
world anyways, small farmers are at a very large disadvange.  Many years ago I
was a dairy farmer.  I started out with 20 cows.  Went good for a few years,
then had to buy 10 more cows, then 10 more and then 10 more.  Finally said the
hell with it when Reagon got to be president and sold them all.

Your study was done by someone who was paid to do it.  Small farmers are
selling out by droves now.  They simply can't do it with the prices and costs
the way they are.  All the studies in the world won't save all the guys in the
High Plains Journal who are advertizing their farm sales. I have read them as
well, I just know better from experience of living it.

Regards
George

Harmon Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Seems like there was a post here just awhile back on a study done which
> showed big farms (and they weren't
>talking about organic) just weren't able to make it as well as smaller farms,
>and IIRC, it was around the 200
>acre point where things started going down. So sell some land, buy some cows
>and pigs and chickens and
>diversify, get rid of the chemicals and giant (ultra-expensive) machinery.
>You'll make just as much money, live
>longer, and be happier. Don't sell the corn, feed it to the pigs, or make
>ethanol, or -- whatever. It's a
>ridiculous idea to farm corn when corn is the cheapest heating fuel on the
>market.
>   Sorry, George, I just don't have much sympathy for the American farmer, for
> the most part. I think if we can
>get the gov't to stop all the crop subsidies and other forms of corporate
>welfare, the organic/chemical
>arguement would end pretty quickly. Farmers have been conned, swindled,
>bamboozled, by the banks, the chemical
>companies, ag agents, and ag schools (who all work for chemical companies
>essentially).
>   Hey, I saw the same thing happening in the logging industry -- guys got
> conned into buying all that new fancy
>equipment then lost their shirt when NAFTA came along. The banker tried to
>talk me into it -- I didn't even ask
>for a loan, he approached me. I just kept logging with my old crawler, and
>when the crunch came I just sold it
>all and went back to school. I really like the way the Amish do it -- no debt.
>And they definitely do make
>money, pay cash for their farms.
>

>On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 04:50:56PM -0600, George & Lola Wesel wrote:
>> I would say that is a very fair question. If it was possible I would.
>>
>> I know several organic farmer and they don't laugh all the way to the
>> bank. That is just an image they would like everybody to believe. In
>> order to reach the production goals required by today financial needs,
>> organic don't cut it.  Not even close.  Zero Input Sustainable
>> Agriculture (name used by the US government) is just a dream of the
>> extreme left wing enviromentalist.  Looks good, sounds good but not
>> feastable. You need to draw a clear line between those that do organic
>> farming with an acre or so and those who farm on the x,000 acres plus.
>> To grow a couple of hundred corn plants on 1/2 acre and then petal the
>> roasting ears to people who you meet on the street is probably very
>> profitable but your going to need a job on the side.  With a 27,000
>> population per acre and 1000 acres of corn that's 27,000,000 roasting
>> ears. This is but one big problem. The places that broker organic food
>> are not capable of handling large volume. The market just isn't their yet.
>>
>> Do you have a clue how much manure it takes to equal 250 pounds of NH3.
>> The average amount of nirtrogen put on an acre of irrigated corn here in
> [...]

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search