?
    You told us that we could come out and make homes if we planted some
trees.  We made
a little place and tilled the ground.  We grew enough to keep our family
going, raised a few
chickens, a cow or two, and few horses to carry us to church on the day
we all rested.  A town
grew a little way from us and they wanted a few things we had around the
place, so we traded
with them from time to time.  The town grew as our family did, we all
chipped in and  built the
school, built a new church and when we were less busy, run a board
across the road from here to
town, just to take the ruts out.  Just helping the neighbors, you know.
Things were nice, had all
we needed, bartered for a few parts and maybe a do-dad for the lady-folk
once in a while.  The
towns people wanted more things from the farm so we grew more, broke out
more land and
started to hire a few workers from the town. The towns took some of our
kids with the offer of
milk and honey.  Later, our kids went into battle in places a few of our
kin lived still, but ideas
go beyond family and we had to do what was right. The ones that came
back were glad to see the
farm and glad to raise their families there.   The times grew hard.  It
took all to keep what we
had.  No problem getting workers, six came by everyday looking for work,
none went hungry if
we had work or not.  Sometimes we were getting a little shy at the
table, but those were our
neighbors who lost everything and if they could, done the same.   The
Government said we were
farming wrong when a big wind came and some of the things they said even
worked.  Times got
a little better, just before the kids went into battle again.  It seems,
it was the thing to do, die for
your country.  We planted more, raised more stock to support our boys
over there and when they
returned they needed even more.  Making money at farming was a new thing
to us, never thought
of it as a business.  Government people came far and wide to tell us how
to farm, how to grow
more grain, raise more cattle.  They gave money to collages to figure
how to do it and sometimes
it didn't hurt none to try.  We had to try this machine and put this
spray on, they said, to get
better crops.  We had our ups and downs over the years and some of the
kids would go.  The
farm keeps us well, then they said, we were growing too much and to cut
back.  The government
started passing around money not to farm a portion or to try a different
way.  Then their helping
became demands on how many acres you will farm and what you could put on
it.  Hard to keep
the family on the farm with a regulated income, so now there are just a
few of us, just trying to
do what is right.  We can't go back to the way we started because
somewhere along the line we
are getting taxed on this land we have.  We have to pay for things we
didn't need to start with.
We got grain taxes for people to find markets for us.  We have fees for
things we never use to do
like putting sprays to protect the crops from bugs or weeds.  They say
we have to spray certain
weeds, then say we our killing the critters in the wild by doing so.
They say we are farming to
close too the creek, which never was a creek at the start,  until they
said to farm on the contour.
Then they say the water runs too hot in the summer.  There never use to
be any water in it at all
in the summer.  They say there are not enough natural trees lining the
creek.  There weren't
more than two trees between here and the river when we got here.  The
new way of farming is
this no till.  No Till?  Even the people more native than we poked holes
in the ground to get the
seed in.   The ground needs to be in a more natural state, get that good
earthy smell back, it
wasn't about ten years ago we lost the smell from doing what they said
to start with.  They say
they want to protect the small farmer, then they run us out of
business.  We can't backup to
raising just enough for ourselves, somehow we have to give the bank some
money, somehow
give the local, state, and federal governments some money.  Have to buy
food we do not raise for
ourselves, buy gizmos to tell us what the world market is.  Somehow
figure a way to farm
without using fuel, pesticides, fertilizer, raising dust or smoke, look
like we are running over a
wet spot or make a trickle run down from the field to the man-made
creek, kill weeds humanely,
plant and harvest without disturbing the soil, the mice, the birds,
coyotes or disturb any ones'
sleep within ten miles.  All we wanted to do is raise a family.  True
our hours are cut back and
we can get things done faster.  We can get in at dark and still have
enough energy to eat before
going to bed.  We have time to talk to the neighbors and shake our
heads.  We have time to
figure what we are going to do when they finish us off and will have to
move next to you.  We
have time to think what it would be like working next to people who
complain about working
eight hours a day for pay three times at what our gross income is.  Time
to think what it would
be like to have a break and lunch in the first third of the day.   It
would be kind of nice getting
home in time to work another six or eight hours playing around before
bed.  It would kind of
nice using all the things we had to learn about the law, marketing,
world trade, chemicals,
welding, mechanics, politics, machining and about two dozen other
things.  Gosh, it does seem
to be a lot of trouble for just trying to make home where many city
folks want to buy into.  All
well, see you soon.

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.