  From: Keith Addison
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 9:43 PM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] Best Processer

  Hello Bob

  >Thanks for your speedy reply.
  >
  >What about Biodiesel Solutions, which is endorsed by Joshua Tickell?
  >

  >http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/default.asp

  :-/ Now how did I know you were going to say that? I suppose it might
  have something to do with the fact that Rudi Weidegger (who makes the
  odious FuelMeister) is good at marketing himself, if at little else,
  and so is Joshua.

  Re Joshua, here's part of a previous exchange about this:

  >>>Good question - harsh word though, pimping. Maybe Joshua doesn't
  >>>know from processors. Previously he was hailing the Argentinian
  >>>processors as good news, and that they're not.
  >>
  >>You are right that "pimping" is quite harsh, and possibly the wrong word
  >>to use,
  >
  >:-) Others have been harsher.
  >
  >>but I have a problem with Joshua Tickell, who for many, seems to
  >>be the official spokesperson for the grassroots biodiesel movement
  >
  >There have been some harsh words about that too.
  >
  >>endorsing processor equipment that is way over priced and looks as
  >>though it could be ineffective at making quality biodiesel. As you
  >>stated he just might not really know from processors. And, I would
  >>question, does he care?
  >
  >Hm. I'm quite sure that Joshua cares about biodiesel, let's put it that way.
  >
  >>With all the processor designs on your web site, possibly a person who
  >>considers themselves incapable of plumbing together a processor could
  >>hire someone to do it for them (local plumber?), and still come out way,
  >>way, way cheaper than any pre-bought system.

  Yes indeed, much cheaper and much better.

  This cost about $100:
  http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor10.html

  It's WAY superior to any of these allegedly ready-to-use for-sale
  things. As for Rudi's junk, instead of improving the thing so it
  might get within spitting distance of doing even a half-assed job,
  he's now supplying add-ons instead, at a 400% markup, so it now costs
  $4,300 with an extra tank and a heater, which should be standard, not
  extra. You could make an excellent processor plus more than 8,000
  gallons of high-quality biodiesel for that price.

  So what exactly is wrong with the thing? Quicker to ask what's right
  with it - nothing. But, please, do yourself a favour and spend some
  time reading through this stuff here, previous discussion on the
  FuelMeister:
  http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/?keywords=fuelmeister&time=6mont
  hs&usertime=2002-12-31

  If that's all a bit much at first you can start with these:

  http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/28752/
  Re: Now here's a nice little joke

  http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/29808/
  Re: Off-the-Shelf Processors

  (When you access the messages, if you hit on "Click here for more on
  this subject" you get a clickable table of the whole thread.)

  Nobody here has an axe to grind (except the guy who keeps saying "Why
  do you have a problem with the FuelMeister?" only it turns out he
  sells them). We'd all just love to see a good ready-made that did a
  good job at a reasonable price, but, as I said in the first place,
  there isn't such a thing, sad to say.

  So much for the "processor", but it turns out the "process" is as bad
  or worse - the instructions Rudi sends out with the FuelMeister not
  only ensure poor quality, they're dangerous:

  http://forums.biodieselnow.com/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=178
  01&TOPIC_ID=2668&FORUM_ID=3
  Originally posted by girl Mark

  >Obviously, the FuelMeister will cost you an extra $3,000-$4,000 for
  >a reactor made of some really crappy materials, and if you were to
  >follow their instructons you'd make an inferior product instead of
  >'biodiesel' (there's no way to make ASTM-grade biodiesel following
  >their instructions, they've brought back the Dark Ages of methanol
  >skimping among other things, including suggestions that you should
  >wear a solvent respirator (there's no such thing for that works
  >against methanol!!!!!!!!!!) and that you should open the lid of your
  >reactor and evaporate a bunch of the excess methanol into your
  >house/garage/work space after the reaction (duh!) oh and there's a
  >recommendation to sniff your unwashed (ie very much
  >methanol-containing) biodiesel as a sort of quality test -using your
  >nose to test for excess methanol).
  >
  >Since they're counting on the fact that their customers probably
  >aren't already homebrewing, and want to buy something without going
  >through the process of learning it on their own, most of their
  >customers won't know the hazards or shortcomings of the processes
  >they're buying...
  >
  >by the way there's no filter for methanol that you can buy, and the
  >fact that the FuelMeister claims that they have one in their reactor
  >is an absolute travesty.
  >
  >Mark

  And now for the good news? Not yet, more bad news first - you seem to
  value Joshua's judgment. It's kind of telling that Joshua now
  endorses Rudi's processor. I got a letter from him explaining why,
  and I'm afraid it rather confirms the widespread doubts and
  questions at the time. Well, to each his own... only that's not the
  case here, both of them claim to be leading the way, but the
  direction's all wrong.

  Joshua's book, From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank, is four years out of
  date and a lot of it's plain wrong anyway. There's been conjecture
  over where he got his information  from, and some good guesses, but
  whatever, it's drawn from a very narrow knowledge base, and omits all
  the work and new findings of the last four years, which have seen
  tremendous developments in small-scale biodiesel technology. And
  safety.

  You're much better off here and at Journey to  Forever, though I say
  it myself (we run Journey to Forever). I don't mind saying it myself:
  the biodiesel information at Journey to Forever is up-to-date, it's
  not just our own work (though there's a  lot of that), it's also a
  compilation and distillation of the work, discoveries, investigations
  and discussions of thousands of people on this list over the last
  four years, and of work done elsewhere.

  Using those resources as your foundation, this list for guidance, and
  its huge archives for further reference, you really can't go wrong.

  Please see this previous message about Joshua:
  http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/31729/

  I must say I'm getting more than a little fed up with these guys who
  not only jump on the biodiesel bandwagon but try to hijack it for the
  own benefit and aggrandizement. Yeah, Chris and others I've chided
  for being perhaps a little harsh, I apologise, I take it all back. A
  self-promoter pimping for a charlatan would seem to be about right.
  They're a waste of time, and worse. There are those who feel Joshua
  held back the homebrew biodiesel movement for years, Rudi's doing the
  same, and now they're in it together. I won't argue with that.

  So, now, finally, the good news? Sure... You don't need the likes of
  Rudi and Joshua and their iffy offerings. You've come to the right
  place, you'll find everything you need right here, willingly given,
  free of charge, good information, good advice, and help and
  assistance from experienced biodieselers when you need it. But you're
  not a mechanic (plumber, engineer, chemist, handy person), you can't
  build your own processor? One of the most important aspects of DIY
  biofuels is that it's a very empowering thing to discover that you
  don't have to be Exxon-Mobil to make your own fuel, and not only
  that, yours is better than theirs. Same with building a processor -
  if you try, you might just surprise yourself, and wouldn't that'd be
  a GREAT feeling? Our modern societies have been grievously deskilled,
  we're not nearly as capable or competent as our grandfathers were. Or
  so we think, until we try. There are plenty of people here who'll be
  happy to help you, you won't be the first. (We're not engineers
  either, we're journalists - if we can do it, so can you.)

  Best wishes

  Keith

  >Thank you!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor