Jan,
Thanks for the tip. We tried it and without stirring, there were clear yellow deposit on the bottom. The biodiesel did not disolve fully in the methanol like you said. So does this mean the next time I do another batch, I have to increase the methanol to the sodium? Any suggestion?

Jeff

From: "Jan Warnqvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Quality Test
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:51:02 +0200

Hello Jeffery.
The test method that you are using seems to me highly dubious, since there
are a number of pre-assumptions that has to be met.
For a further check I´d suggest this:
Take exactly 25 ml of biodiesel and dissolve it in exactly 225 ml of
methanol in a measuring glass. Now:
The biodiesel should be fully soluble in the methanol forming a clear bright
phase. If not, there is pollution in the biodiesel causing you trouble with
the water test. Each ml of undissolved material is corresponding to 4% by
volume. Are there any undissolved material at the bottom of the measuring
glass ?
If there is, your reaction is not complete and this is causing you trouble
with the water test.
This method does not cover every aspect of quality, but it gives a hint
though........
Good luck to you
Jan Warnqvist
AGERATEC AB