 From: Keith Addison <ke...@journeytoforever.org>
To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@lists.sustainablelists.org
Sent: Saturday, 8 February 2014, 0:52
Subject: [Biofuel] The Anti-Empire Report #125

William Blum writes:

... "So what do we have here? The NSA being used to steal industrial
secrets; nothing to do with fighting terrorism. And the NSA stealing
money and otherwise sabotaging unnamed financial systems, which may
also represent gaining industrial advantage for the United States.

"Long-time readers of this report may have come to the realization
that I'm not an ecstatic admirer of US foreign policy. But this stuff
shocks even me. It's the gross pettiness of "The World's Only
Superpower".
A careful search of the extensive Lexis-Nexis database failed to turn
up a single American mainstream media source, print or broadcast,
that mentioned this revelation. I found it only on those websites
which carried my report, plus three other sites: Techdirt, Lawfare,
and Crikey (First Digital Media)." ...

The EU has been complaining about the US using its spy network to
steal industrial secrets for a long time.

The NSA and Britain's GCHQ started construction of the Echelon global
wide area network surveillance system in 1981, soon joined by
Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Hong Kong. Europe was excluded.
Europe started complaining about industrial eavesdropping in the 80s.

British journalist Duncan Campbell has covered this story from the start:

Somebody's listening
Duncan Campbell
New Statesman August 1988
http://praxis.leedsmet.ac.uk/praxis/documents/echelon_enc.doc?

Interception Capabilities 2000 (report written for the EU)
Duncan Campbell
http://www.cyber-rights.org/interception/stoa/interception_capabilities_2000.htm
pdf:
http://www.duncancampbell.org/menu/surveillance/echelon/IC2001-Paper1.pdf

Up to now:

Revealed: Britain's 'secret listening post in the heart of Berlin'
Claims that GCHQ has maintained spying operations even after US pulled out
DUNCAN CAMPBELL , CAHAL MILMO , KIM SENGUPTA , NIGEL MORRIS , TONY PATTERSON
Tuesday 05 November 2013
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-britains-secret-listening-post-in-the-heart-of-berlin-8921548.html>

UPDATE: Germany calls in Britain's ambassador to demand explanation
over 'secret Berlin listening post'
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/germany-calls-in-britains-ambassador-to-demand-explanation-over-secret-berlin-listening-post-8923082.html>

--0--